Last Thursday saw the 2026 debut of another one of my favorite players, 46 year old Swallows pitcher Masanori Ishikawa. To say it didn't go well would be an understatement - he started against the Giants at Jingu Stadium and gave up six runs in only 1/3 of an inning. He faced seven batters, gave up five hits and hit a batter. His ERA is a lofty 162.00. And it's not like he's been pitching well on the farm this year either - he's 0-2 with a 7.63 ERA in ten games there too.
I suspect that this year will be the end of the line for him. He was the Swallows top pick in the 2001 draft and has made at least one appearance in every season for 25 years now. He's the last active baseball player who played in the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games (when he was at Aoyama Gakuin University). He was Central League Rookie Of The Year in 2002 and put together some good seasons in the 00's and teens. His 188 career victories are the most for an active NPB pitcher but, unfortunately, his 194 lossses are as well - I don't think I realized he was sub .500 until I looked at his record this evening. He's 29th on the all time career NPB victory list but ninth on the loss list.
Here's a Swallows team issued card of him from 2008:
![]() |
| 2008 Swallows Premium Card Vol 2 #YsS04 |

No comments:
Post a Comment