Pages

Monday, September 7, 2026

Samurai Japan WBC Team Members Who Have Played In MLB

I mentioned in my post the other day about the new Topps Chrome Samurai Japan set that I had researched how many players on Japan's six WBC team rosters have played in MLB.  There are 37 so far (with more on the way, of course, possibly as soon as next year).  It turned out that the new set has only 16 of these players with the remaining players all being currently active in NPB so I decided that I'd do a post featuring all 37 players.

I thought it was kind of interesting that there were five players who played in MLB BEFORE they played in the WBC.  Two of these are kind of obvious - both Ichiro and Atsunori Ohtsuka were in MLB before the first World Baseball Classic.  Lars Nootbaar is also somewhat obvious as he's never played in NPB (although it wouldn't surprise me if he did at some point).  One of the others was Yusei Kikuchi which was kind of surprising - you'd have thought he might have played on either the 2013 or 2017 teams.  The last guy was Shohei Ohtani which, when I thought about it, made a lot of sense.  He'd intended to play on the 2017 team but ended up skipping the tournament due to an injury that kept him mostly sidelined that year, his final one in Japan before leaving for Southern California.

I tried to pick cards for each of the 37 players that were "official" WBC cards as much as possible but there were a couple players who it was impossible for.  For most of those players, I used other Samurai Japan cards.  A couple of them were from "unofficial" WBC sets (mostly the 2017 Calbee Samurai Japan set) but I was forced to use a different Calbee Samurai Japan set for Hirokazu Sawamura, one that was not from the same year as the WBC.  And since Kikuchi NEVER played for any Samurai Japan team before this year*, I'm using a card of his from the Lions.

* He has WBC cards from this year but since I stopped getting new cards, I don't have any

I also tried to not have more than one card from a particular set but that proved impossible as well.

Anyway, enough with the process details that no one cares about.  Here are the players:

Shogo Akiyama 2017

2017 Topps Now Team Japan #JPN-7

Norichika Aoki 2006, 2009, 2017

2017 Topps Throwback Thursday #32

Yu Darvish 2009, 2023

2009 Konami Baseball Heroes WBC Edition "Special" #W09S001

Kyuji Fujikawa 2006, 2009

2009 Konami Baseball Heroes WBC Edition #W09R092

Shintaro Fujinami 2017

2017 Topps Museum Collection Primary Pieces #WBCQR-SF

Kosuke Fukudome 2006, 2009

2009 Bowman Sterling #BCR-KF

Yoshihisa Hirano 2017

2017 Calbee Samurai Japan #SJ-19

Shota Imanaga 2023

2023 Topps Now Samurai Japan #WBCJPN-12

Hisashi Iwakuma 2009

2009 Konami Baseball Heroes WBC Edition All Tournament Team #W09A002

Akinori Iwamura 2006, 2009

2006 Upper Deck SPx Winning Materials #WM-AI

Kenji Johjima 2009

2009 Topps WBC #54

Munenori Kawasaki 2006, 2009

2006 Upper Deck Sweet Spot Update Sweet Beginnings #SW-MK

Yusei Kikuchi 2026

2018 Epoch NPB #39

Kenta Maeda 2013

2013 Konami Baseball Heroes Extra Version #B13SJ004

Kazuhisa Makita 2013, 2017

2017 Calbee Samurai Japan #SJ-16

Kazuo Matsui 2013

2013 Topps Tribute WBC #59

Yuki Matsui 2017, 2023

2023 BBM Infinity #20

Daisuke Matsuzaka 2006, 2009

2006 SPx WBC All-World Team #AWT-28

Munetaka Murakami 2023, 2026

2023 Topps Now WBC #WBC-66

Tsuyoshi Nishioka 2006

2006 Upper Deck Inaugural Images #II-3

Lars Nootbaar 2023

2023 Topps Japan Edition Samurai Japan #WBC-4

Shohei Ohtani 2023, 2026

2023 Topps Now All Tournament Team #WBCA-12

Atsunori Ohtsuka 2006

2006 Fleer Flair Showcase WBC Moments #CM-21

Kazuma Okamoto 2023, 2026

2023 Topps Samurai Japan #25

Roki Sasaki 2023

2023 Marines SGA

Hirokazu Sawamura 2013

2016 Calbee Samurai Japan #SJ-06

Kodai Senga 2017

2017 Topps Now WBC #W-62

Tomoyuki Sugano 2017, 2026

2017 Bowman Paper Prospects #BP98

Ichiro 2006, 2009

2006 Upper Deck WBC #29

Seiya Suzuki 2017, 2026

2017 Topps Museum Collection Primary Pieces #WBCPR-SS

Masahiro Tanaka 2009, 2013

2009 Topps Ticket to Stardom Ticket Stubs Plus Memorabilia #TSP-66 

Yoshitomo Tsutsugoh 2017

2017 Topps Allen & Ginter #WBCR-YT

Koji Uehara 2006

2006 Upper Deck SP Authentic Future Watch #WBC-60

Tsuyoshi Wada 2006

2006 Upper Deck WBC Jersey Collection #WBC-TW

Yasuhiko Yabuta 2006

2008 Topps WBC

Yoshinobu Yamamoto 2023, 2026

2023 Topps Global Stars #27

Masataka Yoshida 2023, 2026

2023 Topps WBC #91



No comments:

Post a Comment