Wednesday, January 23, 2008

RIP Hirokazu Kato


Deanna Rubin's latest post includes the sad news that former Yokohama Taiyo Whale Hirokazu Kato has passed away at age 56. His obituary can be found here. Kato ended his career just before BBM started producing cards so I only have two cards of him - from the Takara Whales team sets in 1988 and 1989. Since this was what I like to call Takara's "mug shot" phase, the pictures on the cards are nearly identical. I've included a scan of the 1989 card here.


Deanna's post also mentioned this picture of Shigeo Nagashima, Sadaharu Oh and Isao Harimoto together. I thought I'd post a card showing two of those three back when they were active players (card T-01 from the BBM Century's Best 9 set).

Deanna also has posts #2 and #3 in her series on baseball card shopping in Japan now up.

No comments: