Sunday, December 16, 2018

Card Of The Week December 16


I picked up this card of Jim Lefebvre a little while ago.  The card is uncatalouged although it looks very similar to a set Engel has labelled "JGA 14 - 1976 Doyusha Hiroshima Carp Trump Cards Set".  Lefebvre spent four years in Japan (1973-76) so it certainly could be 1976.  Lefebvre doesn't have many cataloged contemporary cards from Japan - a game set given away with a magazine (JGA 154),  one of the Broder sets (JA 6) and an odd tin set from 1975 (JCM 166).  (It didn't help that Calbee wasn't doing cards of Lotte players during his time in Japan.)  All of these are quite rare so I jumped at this card when I saw it on Ebay.  But when I saw the back of the card I knew I needed to get it:


Yup, that's Hall Of Fame pitcher, 400 game winner and Lotte Orions manager at the time Masaichi Kaneda who is apparently doing the can-can.

UPDATE - here's the set description for the JGA 14 set from the latest version of Engel:

You can see how similar the card fronts are.  One difference however is the card size - the Lefebvre card is about 2 1/4 inches wide by 3 7/16 inches high.

3 comments:

SumoMenkoMan said...

Interesting. What size is it? It looks like it is from one of the many furoku giveaways in magazines that were popular during this time.

NPB Card Guy said...

It's roughly the "standard" card size, maybe a tad smaller. Not an uncommon size for a playing card.

I'm still going with the Doyusha set hypothesis. I'll update the post with info from the set I mentioned.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Ok, yeah I see the similarity. You might have an uncatalogued card.