Friday, April 28, 2023

Topps Retro NPB Cards

When Topps initially announced their license with NPB about a year and a half ago, I said that I thought the most interesting thing they could do would be to use their classic card designs, maybe doing an Archives or Heritage style set.  While they have yet to do a full scale set like that, both of their NPB "flagship" sets have featured an insert set using one of their old card designs (and the Chrome sets have had ugly Chrome versions of the same insert cards).  

For their first set in 2021 they included a 24 card (2 cards per team) insert set that used the 1986 design.  Well, it's the 1986 design with a slight modification - they added a white square with the team's logo in it to the lower right corner of each card.  I really liked how these turned out and I decided to pick up all 24 of them.  Here they all are:

#86-LM

#86-SN

#86-Tk

#86-YO

#86-KS

#86-YUY

#86-KA

#86-RU

#86-MM

#86-SS

#86-KK

#86-NU

#86-YYA

#86-MY

#86-SG

#86-KT

#86-HA

#86-MT

#86-MMU

#86-TY

#86-KS

#86-YY

#86-KO

#86-HS

I thought Topps did a pretty good job with these.  The photos all look like ones I could have expected to see on an MLB Topps card from 1986.  My one complaint about the fronts is that I don't understand why the Eagles cards had to say "Rakuten Eagles" on them - it looks really cramped.

The backs are the standard Topps NPB "least amount of effort" backs but at least they made them look a little like the backs of the original.  


For last year's set they included another 24 card insert set that used the 1958 card design.  They got even closer to the original front design with these cards - as far as I can tell, the main difference is the inclusion of a "Topps' logo in the lower left corner.  When I heard that Topps was doing 1958 style cards, I wondered if they'd actually get posed shots like they had had on the original cards or if they'd simply superimpose an action shot against a colored background (kind of like BBM's "Cross-Whatever" cards").  I was pleased to see that they did the former but they did it in the most monotonous way possible.  The original set had a mixture of head shots of the players as well as them posing with bats or in fielding positions.  For these cards they just did head shots of the players.  I found that just a little too boring to get more than a couple cards from the insert set:

#58-5

#58-16

#58-19

#58-24

They made a slight improvement of the backs - they included cartoon figures similar to how the cartoons on the back of the original 1958 cards looked like.  But the cartoons are just generic and don't tell any story about the player on the card.  It looks like there's two different sets of cartoons - one for batters and one for pitchers.  Here's the backs of Murakami and Sugano's cards so you can see what I'm talking about:



It looks like this year's set will have an insert set using the 2001 design.  It'll be interesting to see how it looks.

5 comments:

Sean said...

I’ve been a bit confused by their choices of sets, seems like they went with the most boring design from the 80s the first time (though I agree they look nice), then the most boring design of the 50s the second. Not sure how the 2001 set stacks up. Guess this year’s set will be released soon, not sure if I’ll buy any though.

NPB Card Guy said...

1986 is kind of dull but I was just happy they didn't do 1987 since it's been overused with the MLB cards (or at least I've heard it has been). I think Topps will have an issue doing "authentic" versions of anything before 1971 since almost all of the photos then were posed shots and those kind of photos just don't seem to be available.

Nick Vossbrink said...

I like both of these designs. 100% agree with your thoughts on the Eagles on the 1986s. Am also not liking the square logo box on those. I do wish they'd use more kanji on the fronts but that's a bit of my appreciation for how much Kabaya Leaf is an improvement on Topps 1959s.

Oh yeah and those backs are borderline insulting (though it occurs to me that I don't know what the typical NPB backs look like and have only seen the super-basic 1970s Calbee ones).

NPB Card Guy said...

Yeah, I think the logos would look better without the white box too.

Typical NPB card backs nowadays have some biographical information along with stats for at least the most recent year along with career stats. Some sets (BBM 2nd Version, Calbee Series Three) will give the current year's stats up until the set goes to press. To be fair - the backs of Topps' base set cards have the bare minimum of information on them. I mean, they suck but they're slightly better than these.

Jason Presley said...

Design-wise, I think they did a better job reproducing the 1986 design for NPB than they did for MLB, logo aside.