Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Bonus Players in 2024 BBM Genesis

I did a post earlier this year about "bonus players in BBM's high end sets" - i.e. players who appeared in BBM's "high end" sets (Diamond Heroes, Touch The Game & Genesis) who didn't appear in BBM's "flagship" sets from the same year (or appeared with a different team).  When this year's Genesis set was released a few weeks ago, I took a look at the checklist and found seven players who were not in this year's 1st or 2nd Version sets:

016 Keisuke Sato, Carp
036 Elier Hernandez, Giants
037 Yasunobu Okugawa, Swallows
056 Kyosuke Saito, Buffaloes
060 Ryo Ohta, Buffaloes
099 Junichiro Kishi, Lions
107 Shun Mizutani, Fighters

This is by far the largest number of non-flagship players in a Genesis set ever and the most of any of the sets since the 2002 Touch The Game set (which also had seven).  I will caveat this by mentioning that there is a pretty good chance that some of these players will end up in the "1st Version Update" subset of this year's Fusion set when it comes out next month.  In fact, I'd be pretty surprised if Mizutani isn't in that set - I was actually surprised he wasn't in 2nd Version when it came out in August.  If Hernandez hadn't suffered a season-ending injury in August, I'd have expected to see in Fusion as well but I'm less sure of it now.  So the number may drop in another month.

My friend Jason has been selling cards from the set on Ebay so I was able to pick up six of the seven cards from him (and he's expecting to get some more boxes in so he's keeping an eye out for the one I still need):

2024 BBM Genesis #016

2024 BBM Genesis #036

2024 BBM Genesis #037

2024 BBM Genesis #056

2024 BBM Genesis #060

2024 BBM Genesis #107

I should mention that Keisuke Sato was drafted as an ikusei player last October and was promoted onto the Carp's 70 man roster in June which is why he gets the "rookie" icon on his card,

No comments: