It then occurred to me that I should check to see if this was still an uncataloged set. After all, Gary Engel has published several updates to the Vintage Edition of his "Japanese Baseball Cards Checklist and Price Guide" since I got these cards (not that I remember when I got them but it was a while ago). As it turns out, these cards are most likely from a set that Gary has dubbed "JMC 2003: 1976 Blank Backs". Gary has identified 29 cards but acknowledges that there are likely more cards. The JMC 2003 cards are 2" x 2 3/4" in size which match the cards I have. The set has a scarcity rating of "R3", meaning there's "between 11 and 99 copies known of most cards."
Gary's description of the set is "Pure cards with white borders. Blank backed. Several picture-in-picture cards. A few cards have text in the background that is cut-off in the middle of phrases. Most likely, these cards used pictures cropped from various sources without license". As we'll see in a minute, that description definitely applies to the cards that I have as well. I think about half the cards I have are in Gary's list.
I had given these cards a date of 1975 but it's entirely possible that they are really from 1976. Or it's possible they're from both years - I suspect that these cards were being randomly printed up by some outfit somewhere in Japan and they probably weren't concerned with making sure the cards made any sense to collectors 50 years later.
OK, enough back story. Let's look at the cards.
Based on the uniform number, I'm pretty certain that this is Takashi Yamaguchi of the Hankyu Braves
This is the first card I've shown that I think appears in Gary's list of cards for the set. He lists a card for "Toshiharu Ueda wearing Braves jacket". It does look like Ueda to me, who was the Braves manager at the time.
I'm pretty confident that both of these cards are Koichi Tabuchi of the Tigers. Gary lists both cards with the top one being described as "full body/mid swing" and the lower one being "head & shoulders". I'm not sure which ballpark he's superimposed on in the top card - I don't think it's Koshien.
This is one of the cards that I had not previously identified but I should have been able to. For one thing, it looks like the player's uniform number is #8. For another, while the text on the right is cut off a little, the top four kanji characters are still pretty obviously "山本 浩二" which is Koji Yamamoto (who wore #8 for the Carp). Gary lists this card as well as "Koji Yamamoto - Ca RHB swinging"
Another Carp player but I don't know who it is. Gary doesn't have anything listed that matches it.
This is the card of Toshio Kanbe that kicked this whole thing off. Gary does not list this card either.
This is a very intriguing card. I don't know the left handed Lotte Orions pitcher is, but given the mix of uniforms in the background, I suspect the photo was taken at an All Star game. I think there's a Nankai Hawk to the left of the player and that may be Yutaka Fukumoto of the Braves (#7) to the immediate right. If it IS from an All Star game, and one of the 1975 All Star games and the player is, in fact, a pitcher, then it's most likely Norihiro Mizutani who was the only left handed pitcher from Lotte on the 1975 Pacific League All Stars.
The inset photo is also interesting. Just looking at it, I was pretty sure the guy on the left was Hiroshi Arakawa, who was managing the Swallows at this time. But who's the guy on the right? The text running down the side of the photo may give a clue as it says "Chatting with my mentor, coach Arakawa" (translation from Google translate so it might not be fully accurate). Given who Arakawa's most famous pupil was, it's not unreasonable to assume the guy on the right is Sadaharu Oh.
Gary lists a card of Arakawa as "H. Arakawa - Sw w/unknown Lotte LHP" which could be this card but it might not be.
This is Katsuya Nomura of the Hawks. Gary has a card listed as "Katsuya Nomura - Ha #18[sic] at bat" that I assume is this one.
This is another card that I didn't identify before but, through the wonders of Google translate, I can now tell is Swallows pitcher Hiromu Matsuoka. The text on the left side of the card says something like "pitcher Hiromu Matsuoka's blazing fastball!". Gary has this card listed as well (with a description of "RHP full body EOD [end of delivery]"
I'm fairly confident that this is Tsuneo Horiuchi of the Giants. The number is obscured but Horiuchi wore #18 and that's possibly the number. Other possibilities would be Takaaki Taniyama (#12) and Shigeru Kobayashi (#19) but Horiuchi was the biggest name of those three at the time (or pretty much anytime, really, although Kobayashi had a few good seasons with the Giants a little later than this before being dealt to the Tigers in the Suguru Egawa affair). That's coach Yukinori Miyata (#83) in the background. Engel does not list this card.
These are both Shigeo Nagashima, who was in his first two seasons managing the Giants in 1975-76. Engel lists one Nagashima card which he describes as "portrait". That could describe either one of these.
This is Shoji Sadaoka who was the Giants first round draft pick in the 1974 draft. Gary has a card of Sadaoka listed that's simply described as "pitching" which may or not correspond to this card.
I'm pretty confident the guy on the right is Masaichi Kaneda who was managing Lotte at this time. I don't know who the Swallows player on the left is (could also be a coach although I'm pretty sure it's not manager Arakawa). Once again, this may be from an All Star game (since there was no interleague play in 1975). The light standard in the background looks like the ones at Koshien which hosted Game One of the All Star series that year. IF that's the case, the only Swallows on the Central League team that year were pitchers Matsuoka and Takeshi Yasuda, catcher Akihiro Oya and outfielder Tsutomu Wakamatsu. Engel lists a card for Kaneda with the description "arm out to the right" which doesn't really fit this card.
This is obviously two Giants players but I don't know who they are. If the orange text on the guy on the left's sleeve is his uniform number - it looks like #11 - then he's Yoshimasa Takahashi. But that might not be a uniform number. Gary lists a card with both Sadaoka and Horiuchi on it which might be this one but, then again, it might not be. I could buy that that's Sadaoka on the left and Horiuchi on the right though.
This is another intriguing card. I'm fairly certain that the guy on the left is Senichi Hoshino but I don't know who the guy on the right is. Gary lists a card that shows both Hoshino and Wally Yonamine, who was the Dragons manager at the time. While I'd love for this to be that card, I'm kind of skeptical that the guy on the right of this card is Yonamine, simply because I haven't seen any photos of Yonamine as Chunichi manager where he's not wearing glasses.
This last card is not listed in Engel but the players are easy to identify. From left to right are Masakatsu Tsuchiya (#16) of the Dragons, Kazuhiko Kudo (#19) of the Tigers and Sadaoka (#20). The three players were the top high school picks for each team in the 1974 draft with Tsuchiya and Sadaoka both being first round picks - Kudo was the Tigers second pick after Masaaki Koga (who ultimately didn't sign with the Tigers). I suspect this photo was from the farm team All Star game (now called the "Fresh All Star Game" but was then called the "Junior All Star Game") that was held at Koshien in 1975 although I don't have any rosters from the game so I can't confirm that.
If anyone has any idea who the handful of guys that I haven't identified are, I'd be happy to hear suggestions.




















No comments:
Post a Comment