Sunday, February 23, 2020

Card Of The Week February 23

Here's a bromide card I picked up a few months back.  It shows Satoru Sugiyama (#33) and Michio Nishizawa (#15) of the Chunichi Dragons.  I'm not positive but I think it might be from the JBR 90a set from 1950 - Engel lists a card of the two of them from that set.  The only thing that makes me hesitate is the size of the card - it's about 2 inches by 2 1/2 inches while Engel lists the JBR 90a cards as being 2 1/8 inches by 2 1/2 inches.  I know the photo is from 1950 by the uniform (the Dragons wore this in 1950 and 1951) and Sugiyama's uniform number (he wore #33 in 1950 but #5 in 1951).


UPDATE - Upon further review...I think the card is from the JBR 90b set that Engel added in the latest version (2.1) of the Vintage Price Guide.  He doesn't list it but the size is right and he notes that the league logo is smaller on these than the JBR 90a cards and is alway located in a bottom corner.

3 comments:

Fuji said...

Awesome jerseys... and I like how they put the player's number on the pants. Wish Ebbets Field Flannels made this jersey. I'd consider buying one.

NPB Card Guy said...

I would too, especially since the Dragons are my favorite team.

Sean said...

That is an awesome card, I have a couple from that set too but no Dragons!