Sunday, August 13, 2023

Card Of The Week August 13

Crazy game in Nagoya today.  Dragons pitcher Yuya Yanagi threw nine no-hit innings against the Hiroshima Carp but with Chunichi's offense being what it is this year, the Dragons failed to score any runs.  Yanagi was lifted after throwing 124 pitchers and reliever Raidel Martinez took the mound in tenth.  Martinez had yet to give up an earned run this season but that streak ended today.  After retiring the first two batters, he gave up a solo home run to Shota Dohbayashi, putting the Carp up 1-0.

That lead proved to be short lived, however, as Takaya Ishikawa led off the bottom of the tenth with a home run off Takuya Yasaki.  Shingo Usami, who was acquired by Chunichi in a trade about seven weeks ago, followed with another home run, giving the Dragons a 2-1 sayonara victory.

I thought I'd show cards for all four of the principal Dragons protagonists from the game.  I can't show a card of Usami with the Dragons so I'm showing his Epoch One card commemorating his first RBI after his previous mid-season trade in 2019 (from the Giants to the Fighters):

2020 BBM 1st Version #273

2021 BBM Dragons #D33

2022 BBM Dragons #D43

2019 Epoch One #345

2 comments:

Sean said...

That was the craziest game I’ve seen in ages (on TV, I took my son to a game at the Dome last week when they beat the Swallows 11-1 which was fun).

The funny thing for me us that the Dragons hitting two home runs is actually more surprising than Yanagi throwing a no hitter for 9 innings.

Yuki Okabayashi didn’t figure into the scoring but might be worth adding since his hit in the game allowed him to break Nishizawa’s team record hitting streak (now at 26, he has quietly gotten into reach of the NPB record).

NPB Card Guy said...

I wondered if you had seen the game.

I thought about including Okabayashi but I figure I'll do something about him next week maybe.