Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Latest COMC Order

I did another order from COMC recently to pick up some more old Calbees.  I had placed the order a few weeks back and I'd kind of forgotten what I was getting so it was a bit of a surprise when the cards showed up earlier this week.  I thought I'd do a quick post about what I got.

First up was two cards from the "monster" 1975/76/77 set.  I was always surprised to rediscover that I didn't have any Calbee cards of Hal Breeden so I've solved that problem now (although I have a couple Calbee's with him making a cameo appearance on them):

1975/76/77 Calbee #1200

Always hard to pass up a Calbee Yutaka Enatsu Tigers card:

1975/76/77 Calbee #340

I also picked up a couple 1978 Calbee "Regular Type II" cards.  I didn't have any of these before now.  I thought I was getting some with an earlier order this year from COMC but it turns out they had mislabeled the cards.  The "Regular Type II" cards look the same as the "Regular Type I" cards except that the two lines with the player's name and team are in one of the corners of the front of the card rather than the bottom center:

1978 Calbee Regular Type II Takenori Emoto

1978 Calbee Regular Type II Shigeru Kobayashi

The final card I got was not a Calbee card and it wasn't a vintage card but it's still pretty cool - an autographed card of Hayato Terahara from last year's Epoch Baystars Premier Edition set.  Twenty years ago this card would have run me a lot more than the $10-ish this cost me as Terahara was once a huge prospect:

3 comments:

Sean said...

Very nice pick ups there. Out of curiosity are there many 70s Calbee available on COMC?

NPB Card Guy said...

Yes there are and many of the prices aren't terribly high. Not sure if it'd be worth the cost of shipping to Japan for you but it might be worth checking out. (And forgive me - I thought I had told you about them before but perhaps I just meant to.) I think there's a steady stream of new cards coming in too as I found more cards I wanted earlier this week and placed another order.

The annoying thing about COMC is domestic shipping starts at $4.99, even if it's just one card, so I always wait until I've found several cards I want. I had found the Terahara auto months ago but it wasn't until I found several other cards I wanted that I pulled the trigger.

Nick Vossbrink said...

Always love seeing Calbees on COMC. I just need to remember to search periodically.