Thursday, October 12, 2023

Shukan Baseball Season Memorial Cards

One of my on going projects the past few years has been to try to get all the baseball cards that were included with the "Season Memorial" issue of Shukan (Weekly) Baseball each year.  I had originally thought that there were only 12 cards total - two each year from 2011 to 2016.  However I have recently discovered that this was incorrect - there were cards included in this issue each year from 2005 to 2010 as well.  What's more, there were four cards in each of those years so the total number of cards is actually 36.  

I'm not positive because I haven't seen all the cards from 2005 to 2010 but I think the four cards each year featured the MVPs and Rookies Of The Year from each league.  The post-2010 issues usually but not always featured the league MVPs.  The exceptions are 2014 when they featured Shohei Ohtani and Tetsuto Yamada instead of Chihiro Kaneko and Tomoyuki Sugano and 2016 when the Central League player was Hiroki Kuroda instead of Takahiro Arai.

I had found a lot of six of these cards on Mercari a little while back and picked them up via ZenMarket.  It was 588 yen plus the 300 yen ZenMarket fee which worked out to about $6.52 which was well worth it as you'll see in a minute.  I had ZenMarket ship the cards to me with the new Lions History set (which I'll be posting about soon) and I got the package earlier this week.

I already had half of the cards.  Two of the cards I didn't already have were from 2008 and featured the Central League MVP and the Pacific League Rookie Of The Year:


The other was from 2012 and featured the PL MVP:


These three cards bring me up to 18 total.  Ryan has already picked up one of the other cards for me so I'm really only need slightly less than half of the cards.

I do need to mention here that one of the attractions of this particular lot of cards was one of the cards that I already have though:

I'm thinking if I put this up on Ebay, there's a pretty good chance I'll make back the $6.50 I spent on these cards.

No comments: