Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Blog Bat Around - My Projects VI - The Voyage Home

A couple years back I took part in a Blog Bat Around suggested by Night Owl Cards that had me do a post that listed all the various projects that I was working on.  I've done update posts for it around this time in both 2019 and 2020 so I thought I should go ahead and do another one - especially now that I'm almost done in-processing all those cards I got from Ryan.

Once again I've dropped any project from the list that I previously listed as complete.

1978 Yamakatsu JY6 set

I finally got the last card I needed for this set - Koichi Tabuchi - last fall from Larry Fuhrmann.  I don't know why I didn't ask Larry sooner.

2017 Topps Now WBC set

No change on this one - still need one of the Didi Gregorius cards. 

2009 Konami WBC Inserts

Between Ryan and a trade with Steve, I picked up three of the eight cards I still needed.  So making progress but it's ever so slow.


2017 Topps TBT WBC cards

No change - still need the Alex Bregman and Carlos Correa cards.  I thought I had a line on a Correa card about a month ago but it was on a zombie website that apparently isn't still active.


1994-2000 BBM flagship sets

This has gone better than I could have believed.  That trade with Steve netted me the final card I needed for 1998 and Ryan recently sent me the final cards I needed for 1994 and 2000, along with 12 of the 14 cards I needed for 1999.  Ryan also found me a bunch of 1996 cards so I'm down to needing just 18 cards to complete the set.  But the most amazing thing is how well I've done with the 1995 set.  A year ago at this time I needed around 300 cards.  But I bought a very large lot of them from someone on Ebay and Ryan has done an incredible job tracking cards down at reasonable prices - it certainly helps that he's trying to complete the set too.  And of course there's the seller in Taiwan that I got the super rare high numbered cards from along with some other cards from the set.  I now only need 14 cards to complete the 1995 set, although nine of those cards are short printed puzzle cards (including eight Hideki Matsui ones).  I am just 34 cards away from a complete run of BBM flagship sets from 1991 to the present (I'm taking into account the cards that Ryan has told me he's found for me but hasn't sent yet - there's 20 or so 1995 cards and one 1996 card so there's about 55 missing from what I have here at the house).

1999 Teleca Sets

No change here - still one card away from completing the 1999 Teleca regular set.


2000 Teleca "'99 Korea Japan Super Games" insert set

Made some decent progress here.  Dan found me a handful of cards and that trade with Steve brought in a couple more.  I went from needing 24 cards to only needing 15 - so went from needing roughly half the set to needing just a third of it.


2001 BBM Tigers set

This one's done - Ryan found the last card I needed for this.


2004 BBM 1st Version 2003 Asian Championship insert set

Another completed one - I got one of the four cards I needed from Ryan last year and the other three in the box I just got from him.


1999 Teleca Premium Korean Dream Team insert set

No change here either - I still need three cards.


2000 Teleca set

Got two cards - both in trades with Steve - so I'm down to needing 42 cards, 15 of which are the "Rookie" insert cards.  Both of the cards I got from Steve were from that insert set.  

I did start a couple new projects although one of them is already nearly complete.

BBM Team sets

I decided I wanted to fill in the gaps in my BBM team sets - not with complete sets but with five or so cards from each set that I didn't already have cards from.  Basically I wanted the equivalent of having opened a pack for each set I didn't have any card from already.  Of course, once I went to make a want list I couldn't help but add cards of favorite players including rookie cards of big stars so it's been a little harder and more expensive that I had originally planned.  But again, Ryan's done an amazing job tracking stuff down for me so there's only about eight cards left out of the 150 to 200 that I originally had on the list.

SCM cards

I finally made up a list of the Sports Card Magazine insert cards I want to get.  There's around 50 from between 1997 and 2010 that I'm looking for.


2000 Upper Deck Ovation Rising Stars

Upper Deck's Ovation set from 2000 included 30 serially numbered "Rising Stars" cards featuring rookies or young stars.  I've got 18 of them now so there's only 12 more to get.  They aren't all that rare (their print runs were to 2000) but they're not all that common either.


2017 BBM Icons - Japan Pride printed autograph inserts

About a year ago Justin of Charm City Autographs opened a 2017 BBM Icons - Japan Pride set and sent me the insert card he got in it - a printed autograph card of Tomoyuki Sugano.  I really liked the card and I'd like to get all 18 of them.  They're not very common though so this is going to probably be very difficult.  I've added them to my Want List but Ryan and I haven't really discussed how much I want to spend on them so he hasn't been looking for them yet.


Shukan Baseball Season Memorial Cards

There was a six year stretch from 2011 to 2016 where BBM included two baseball cards in the special "Season Memorial" issue of Shukan (Weekly) Baseball.  Ryan sent me the two 2016 cards in the box I just got from him and he's already tracked down four more of them which means I'm halfway done with these already.

I want to take this moment to again thank everyone - Dan, Steve, Justin, Larry and especially Ryan - for helping me get the cards for all these projects.  

No comments: