Wednesday, March 27, 2024

This Is Some Bullsh*t

Calbee's checklist for this year's Series One went live yesterday and to say that I'm disappointed with it would be an understatement.  There are only 60 "regular" player cards (five per team) in the set again so the decrease in set size from last year is apparently permanent.  There are 18 "Title Holder" cards featuring award winners and league leaders from last year but only if the players were still in Japan - so no Yoshinobu Yamamoto (PL Wins, ERA, Strikeout leader plus MVP), Yuki Matsui (PL Save leader) or Shota Imanaga (CL Strikeout leader).  The weird thing is there are six checklist cards instead of the usual four which is the most ominous thing about the checklist.  Calbee "normally" has twelve checklists cards across all three Series each year - four per Series.  Each NPB team gets featured on a checklist card.  If Series One has six checklist cards, I think it's a clear indication that they're only planning on doing two Series this year instead of the "traditional" three.  I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect I'm not.

I have recently begun watching the show "Resident Alien" and I'm really enjoying it.  There's a phrase that the main character constantly uses that I feel is very appropriate for this situation:

via GIPHY

4 comments:

Brett Alan said...

I've enjoyed Resident Alien for a while. (Haven't seen tonight yet but other than that I'm all caught up.) Some of the supporting characters are iffy but Harry and Asta are terrific.

Sean said...

That alien said it right.

NPB Card Guy said...

@Breatt Alan - I just started watching it about a month ago - I downloaded the first couple episodes to my phone for a cross country flight. I'm about midway through the second season right now. First season was better but I'm still enjoying it.

@Sean - Damn straight. I've been using that phrase a lot lately - probably enough that my wife is sick of hearing it

Fuji said...

Haven't watched Resident Alien... but I did chuckle at that GIPHY.