Monday, July 29, 2024

New Tomoyuki Sugano Card From Panini

Panini released their 2024 "Donruss" set a few weeks back and, like several of their sets last year, it includes a card of Tomoyuki Sugano of the Yomiuri Giants.  I saw someone selling it on Ebay last week for $1.50 and I added it to my watchlist while I decided whether or not I really wanted to buy it.  After the seller offered me 10% off, I decided to go for it.  (Obviously I was concerned I'd lose the house if I forked over that extra 15 cents.)  It showed up today and it's not a bad looking card, at least as far as unlicensed cards from Panini go:



There's some insane number of parallels for this card - or at least what I think is an insane number.  There's 43(!) parallels of it and every other card in the set I think.  Unlike last year, there does not appear to be an autographed Sugano card available, although perhaps that might be offered in a later Panini release this year.

4 comments:

Nick Vossbrink said...

Oh man I'm sorry I totally forgot you posted about him being in sets last year too. Thought he was new this year and was really curious how they'd do the logo thing since it's not like MLB holds the Yomiuri license. Thanks for posting the card photo (and the ones from last year).

NPB Card Guy said...

You're welcome! It'll be interesting to see if he shows up in any other Panini issues this year. I'd love to hear the story of how he ended up having cards with them.

Nippon Baseball Retro said...

I got Sugano out of that new Bandai snack set which I have to say is pretty slick in hand. The cards are plastic, which I don't love, but I like the cartoon likenesses of the players.

NPB Card Guy said...

Yeah, I've been really interested in them but the prices are kind of high right now. I'm hoping they come down a little. I'm not normally a big fan of caricatures on baseball cards but I really like how these look. Good to know they're plastic too.