Sunday, September 27, 2026

Card Of The Week September 27

Last Tuesday night, the Los Angeles Queens defeated the San Francisco Firebells to wrap up the inaugural championship of the Women's Pro Baseball League (WPBL).  The two teams had split the first four games of the championship series but the Queens prevailed in the final game behind the pitching of Ayami Sato, who threw the first complete game (seven innings) shutout in league history.

Sato, of course, has been a mainstay of the Madonna Japan team that has dominated the Women's Baseball World Cup over the past 20-ish years and spent seven years playing in the Japanese Women's Baseball League (JWBL).  She played for the Saitama Seibu Lions' Women's Team for a few year before joining Toronto of the Intercounty Baseball League in Canada last year.

I don't have any new cards of Sato that I haven't shared before so I'm going with her card from Epoch's 2016 JWBL set.  The set was Epoch's first set (of two) that they did for the league and is ten years old now:

2016 Epoch JWBL #43


No comments: