Apologies for being a day late this week - had some unexpected issues come up that I needed to deal with.
With the MLB playoffs getting underway this past week, I thought I'd do a quick post to round up what players who had previously won a Nippon Series championship could possibly add a World Series Championship as well and join
the fourteen players who have won both titles. I believe there are only two although it's entirely possible I missed someone. The two players are Munetaka Murakami of the White Sox and Robert Suarez of the Braves who won championships in Japan with the 2021 Tokyo Yakult Swallows and 2019 Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks respectively (note that Suarez was with the Hawks in 2017 and 2018 when they also won the Series but was not on the team's roster for either of those Series). Here are cards of the two players from the years they won their championships:
 |
| 2021 Topps NPB ##86-MMU |
 |
| 2019 BBM Hawks #H36 |
UPDATE - I will admit that I threw this post together pretty quickly last night and did not fully check out the team rosters. But I was pretty sure I had everyone. But then this morning, I was reading today's installment of
Craig Calcaterra's Cup Of Coffee newsletter and saw in his recap of last night's White Sox-Guardians game that Chicago starter Anthony Kay had left the game after only recording one out. "Oops," I thought to myself, "I'm pretty sure Kay was with the Baystars when they won the Series in 2024". I did some quick research and discovered that not only had he been a member of that team, he won an "Outstanding Player" award for his performance in the Series. I then went and actually checked the rosters of all eight teams and I'm pretty sure that these are the only three guys. So let me go ahead and add a card for Kay:
 |
| 2024 BBM 1st Version #067 |
2 comments:
Suarez has NPB cards? That's pretty cool. I was bummed that he left SD. The guy is a stud.
Yup, he signed with Softbank before he ever signed with an MLB team. He spent four years with them and then two with Hanshin before joining the Padres
Post a Comment