Saturday, October 24, 2009

And Still More WBC cards?

A couple WBC related items:

- Topps has just released their Update set and (besides a bunch of memorabilia cards) it only has three World Baseball Classic cards. None of the three feature any Japanese players - one shows the US team celebrating after their walk off win against Puerto Rico, one shows Derek Jeter and David Wright and the last shows David Ortiz with Alex Rodriguez (who gets his third WBC card despite not actually playing in it).

- Jason's comment about Konami the other day made me go looking for a website for Konami (which has been added to the list on the right). In browsing their site, I was surprised to discover that it looks like Konami had released WBC cards. I'm not quite sure I follow what's on this page, but those certainly look like WBC baseball cards of David Ortiz, Akinori Iwamura, Jose Lopez, Derk Jeter, and Mark DeRosa. Are the Konami cards used with a video game? I know Deanna wrote something about this once but I don't have time to look for it right now.

2 comments:

Deanna said...

Yeah, Baseball Heroes is a game. I played it once a few years ago and decided not to play again because of the insane money sink. But yeah, you get more cards through playing the game (the boosterpacks come out of the actual arcade machine), and you use your cards to make your teams that are playing... if you want to switch players, you have to have the cards for the players, things like that.

I didn't know they had a WBC card set for it, but again, I've been avoiding the game for the most part.

Jason Presley said...

Wow, I would so go broke if America had baseball card dispensing arcade games....though it might be a unique avenue for one of the card companies to try.

It would be an interesting way to attempt to attract some of the market lost to gamers.