Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Some New Old Stuff - 1976 Yamakatsu JY1a cards

I don't usually do posts on what I've just gotten on Ebay but I thought the stuff I received today was just too cool not to.  I love the big (almost 7 inch by 10 inch) cards that Yamakatsu published in 1976 and 1977 and I just got five cards from the 1976 JY1a set - a set that I previously only had one card from (although it's an awesome card featuring Isao Harimoto and Dave Johnson).  Here are the five cards:

Senichi Hoshino

Makoto Matsubara

Hiromu Matsuoka

Yoshito Oda

Tsutomu Wakamatsu
All the cards are blank backed and unnumbered.

I don't know for sure that the Matsubara card is from this set - it is not in Engel's listing for the set.  It could be from one of the other 1976 blank backed sets (JY1 or JY1c) but it's not listed there either - there's another Matsubara card listed with JY1.  As Engel points out, these sets are very confusing.

Engel lists the Oda card simply as "Fighters vs Buffaloes - action shot".  I wouldn't have known it was Oda if the seller hadn't included the name in the listing.  The Buffaloes pitcher is Toshio Kanbe.  You can tell the card is for Oda because the copyright line at the bottom says "Nippon-Ham Fighters"

No comments: