Sunday, January 20, 2019

Card Of The Week January 20

Brandon Laird is changing teams this offseason.  After spending four seasons with the Fighters he's now a member of the Chiba Lotte Marines.

Laird has a routine when he homers where he mimics making sushi with his hands.  This has earned him the nickname "Sushi-boy".  The "Secret Version" of his 2017 BBM 2nd Version card (#383) shows him doing this:


This habit has raised some concerns with one member of his new team.  The mascot Nazo No Sakana (the Mysterious Fish) informed Laird via an Instagram post that "All of the fish in Chiba are so delicious, but I am very bad. So you should not make me a sushi item.  Please promise it. I'm waiting for you here in Chiba. Mr. Sushi boy!"

I've got three cards of the Mysterious Fish.  I think there's at least one more Epoch One card of him that I don't have.  Here's the ones I have (including the Epoch One card I showed less than two weeks ago):

2017 BBM 2nd Version #591 (Secret Version)

2018 BBM Marines #M69

2018 Epoch one #328

H/T NPB Reddit for the story.

2 comments:

Fuji said...

Sushi-Boy! That's awesome. Now I know why Sumomenkoman likes Laird so much.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Awesome!. I am glad he landed on another Japanese team. Will be interesting to see how he does and that is so funny that he was asked to not eat the mascot. Ha!