Thursday, October 22, 2020

Another White Whale Speared

A few weeks back I saw an auction on Yahoo! Japan Auctions for a lot of about 150 Hanshin Tigers cards, mostly from BBM but there was a handful of cards from other companies.  The only card I was interested in was a 1978 Yamakatsu JY 6 card of Koichi Tabuchi, the final card I needed to complete that set.  I was on the fence if I wanted to spend the $35 or so the auction would have cost just to get the one card.  But suddenly I realized that I knew the seller of the auction!  It was Larry Fuhrmann, who with Marty Kuehnert helped start the modern Japanese Baseball Card Hobby.  I sent Larry an email asking about the card and he ended up selling me one for $10 including shipping.  The card showed up in the mail today and it's a beautiful thing:


 I've been down to needing just one card for this set for several years so it's nice to finally have it finished.  Frankly I should have asked Larry about it years ago.  It felt really good sliding it into the empty spot in the sheet that had been waiting for it for a while:


 Thanks Larry!

7 comments:

Zippy Zappy said...

Woof, congrats on nailing down the card and finishing the set.

Fuji said...

Congratulations on completing this set.

Sean said...

Awesome to see them all together in that binder, congratulations!

SumoMenkoMan said...

Awesome!! Congrats!

NPB Card Guy said...

Thanks everybody!

Anonymous said...

Anyone know where to look up and see value of Japanese Cards..? I just bought a whole collection of cards and there’s some Unopened Boxes of cards as well as some cards from it looks lke old tobacco cards like the T-206.. There’s cards from the 70’s up to the 90’s as well. Any help is appreciated.. 253-820-6766
Thanks
Scott Stockman

NPB Card Guy said...

Probably your best bet would be to pick up a copy of Gary Engel's "Japanese Baseball Card Checklist & Price Guide". The latest vintage edition just went on sale a few weeks ago.