Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Recent Ebay Pickups

I wanted to do a quick post about some cards I picked up off Ebay in the last few weeks.  The first is my second "Printing Plate".  This one is from BBM and is for Masataka Yoshida's card in the 2021 Masterpiece set.  I though it was interesting that it was a reverse image.  It also appears to be a bit of a mess - I don't know if that's normal of if there's actually something messed up with it (UPDATE - It's probably a fake):


Like the other time I got a "Printing Plate" card, I thought I should get the card it went with so I ended up buying it from the same guy I had bought my first "Printing Plate" from (along with a bunch of other fun stuff).  That card showed up in the mail today:

2021 BBM Masterpiece #060

That wasn't the only thing I bought from that particular seller.  I had noticed recently that Alen Hanson of the Fighters didn't have any cards this year other than a couple of Epoch One cards and an autographed card in BBM's 2nd Version set.  The seller had the autographed card at a pretty good price so I picked that up as well:

2023 BBM 2nd Version 

But wait, there's more!  The seller included a couple other cards - none of which I already had!  Here are the cards:

2022 BBM Infinity #27

2019 Epoch Fighters Rookies & Stars #57

2022 BBM Infinity "Inspire" #IN08

I had thought about picking up the Okoshi card last year when the Infinity set came out since the I find the inclusion of non-NPB baseball players in their multi-sport sets very appealing.  Okoshi had played baseball at Tokyo University but never went pro.  He instead became a journalist, mostly covering politics for NHK.  He also appeared in the 2011 BBM Legend Of Tokyo big Six set.

The last item was another item that arrived in the mail today, although from a different seller.  The Bowamn NPB set came out a few weeks ago.  After briefly considering it, I decided against buying a complete set and instead I'll just pick up a handful of singles when I get an opportunity.  One of the insert sets for the Bowman set reuses the 1989 Bowman design - albeit with a shiny "chrome' finish.  Ryan has already picked up the Takeya Nakamura card from this insert set for me but I couldn't resist grabbing the Munetaka Murakami one also:

2023 Bowman NPB #89B-14

The backs show the same level of effort that we've come to expect from Topps with their NPB products:




2 comments:

Nick Vossbrink said...

Bummer on the plate but I love that Alen Hansen. He waa with the Giants for one season and was so much fun.

NPB Card Guy said...

It's very odd that Hansen has an autographed card but no other BBM cards. I thought he might be in the Fusion set that just came out but he isn't. I'm going to have to try to find one of his Epoch One cards.