Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Recent Pickups

I wanted to do a quick post about some cards I picked up recently - some 70's era Calbees from COMC and Ebay and a couple more recent BBM cards, also from COMC.

First off I picked up two more cards for the Florida Project.  I now have 16 of the 22 cards in the series so I guess maybe I am actually collecting it.  This is the last of the five Sadaharu Oh cards in the series:

1974/75 Calbee #706

And this is Tsuneo Horiuchi's sole card in the series:

1974/75 Calbee #707

I also picked up a couple Dragons-related cards.  This is Nagoya Stadium, the then-home of the Dragons and now (in a somewhat disassembled state) the home of the Dragons' farm team:

1974/75 Calbee #817

There aren't enough baseball cards showing ballparks so I was happy to discover this one.  I didn't know it existed until I saw it on COMC.

Calbee did multi-player team cards for all the teams except Lotte in the 1975/76/77 set.  This is I think the fifth one that I've picked up.  I need to do a post about them all sometime.  That's Wally Yonamine in the upper left corner (#37) as he was the Dragons manager at the time:

1975/76/77 Calbee #452

These last two Calbees illustrate how confusing some of the Calbee issues of the 1970's can be.  I had picked up these cards of Takeshi Koba of the Carp and Kenichi Yazawa of the Dragons from a seller on Ebay, assuming they were from the 1975/76/77 set.  But once I got them and went to verify that they were who I thought they were, I got a bit of surprise.  Yazawa's card number was 140 and that matched what was in Engel but Koba's number - 127 - was listed as being Shigeo Nagashima!  When I took a closer look at the back of Koba's card, I realized my mistake:


While this looks very much like the back of the 1975/76/77 Calbee cards, the grey box at the bottom indicates that it's actually from the 1977 "Grey Back Star" set.  The Yazawa card was also from that set - he's card #140 in both sets!

1977 Calbee "Grey Back Star" #127

1977 Calbee "Grey Back Star" #140

The more recent BBM cards were both from 2022.  Here's the foil parallel(?) version of Tsutomu Wakamatsu's "Team Record" insert card from the 2022 BBM Swallows History 1950-2022 set - it's serially numbered to 50:

2022 BBM Swallows History 1950-2022 #TR2

Last but not least, a jersey card for Yutaro Sugimoto from the 2022 BBM Buffaloes team set - it's serially numbered to 300:

2022 BBM Buffaloes #MB2


5 comments:

GTT said...

Nice ones! That 1977 Calbee Grey Star #140 has a really cool picture - it brings back memories of hitting off a tee in little league practice, and I've never seen it on a card before.

Sean said...

Great pick ups! Especially the Nagoya Stadium one.

Early in my effort to build the 1975-76-77 Calbee set I made that same mistake with some 1977 Calbees. It took me a while to figure out that the ones with the grey boxes on the bottom were 1977s and I remember it messing my checklist up when I realized since I had several of them mixed up in there.

I echo the above comment about the photo on #140, its quite cool.

NPB Card Guy said...

Thanks, guys. I thought that was a pretty cool photo too.

@Sean - And, as you well know, to further confuse things, the late series cards from the 1975/76/77 set also have the grey boxes on them. So it's not enough to look at the back design, you have to look at the card number too.

The funny thing is that of all the confusing stuff with the late 70's Calbee cards, this is probably the easiest one to deal with. Much easier than making sense of the 1978 cards.

NPB Card Guy said...

And again, not that you're not familiar with those issues

Fuji said...

Love that Nagoya Stadium card! You're right this hobby needs more ballpark cards.