Saturday, March 27, 2010

Card Of The Week March 28

So the other day when I was doing a little research on Tetsuharu Kawakami and the Meikyukai, I worked my way through a list of all the guys with 2000 hits in NBP to see who else was excluded for not being born in the Showa Era. I didn't find anyone else, but I did come across an interesting question - why isn't Kihachi Enomoto in the Meikyukai? He had 2314 hits in his career and he was born in 1936 so he should be eligible. The wikipedia article merely states that (unlike Hiromitsu Ochiai), he "has not declined membership, but has never participated in any of the club's meetings or events, and is not recognized as a member." Anyone know why?

Here's Enomoto's card from the 2002 BBM All Time Heroes set (#183):

1 comment:

AB said...

Fitts and Engel say that he has simply refused to be enshrined- maybe all of those years batting behind Yamauchi left him seeking solitude...