I'm home after over two weeks in Arizona and of course I'm way behind on everything. I've got a bunch of posts that I'd like to do in the next few days (including some items from Arizona - one of which you're probably expecting already) but I thought I'd start off with something relatively simple - the latest issue of Sports Card Magazine.
SCM #115 was published on January 27th and my copy showed up here at the house on January 29th. (Unfortunately I had left for Arizona on the 27th so I didn't see it until I got home this week.) Like issue #109 that came out this time last year, the cover story is about the upcoming Rookie Edition set. (The issue that comes out every January appears to always be for the Rookie Edition set.)
In the color section of the magazine there's a three page interview with Shun Takayama, formerly of Meiji University and now with the Tigers and a two page preview of the Rookie Edition set. There's also a two page ad for Rookie Edition as well as a two page ad for the new Sumo set, single page ads for the new Japan National Football Team, True Heart (Women's Wrestling) and Chess On Ice (Curling) sets and half page ads for the new (relatively) Spirit Of Legend, Fighting Spirit (Boxing), Farewell (Retirement) and 24 Karat (Yoshinobu Takahashi) box sets.
The newsprint section has a two page interview with wrestler Fairy Nihonbashi and a four page interview with somebody that looks like it might be a review of the cards issued in 2015. There's also the almost every issue competition where four collectors do box breaks of a recent issue and compare their hits - this time around it's the Real Venus set. The "old card" checklists this month are for sumo issues.
The "best" cards of the month are:
Best Card Of This Month: 2015 BBM 25th Anniversary Yoshinobu Takahashi/Hideki Matsui jersey card
Best Item Of This Month: 2015 BBM Real Venus box
Hot Card Lists
1. 2013 BBM 1st Version Shohei Ohtani (183)
2. 2015 BBM 1st Version Yasuaki Yamasaki (#291)
3. 2015 BBM 1st Version Takayoshi Noma (#237)
4. 2015 BBM 1st Version Hayato Takagi (#188)
5. 2015 BBM 1st Version Tomohiro Anraku (#156)
6. 2015 BBM 1st Version Issei Endoh (#268)
7. 2015 BBM 1st Version Daiki Asama (#075)8. 2015 BBM 1st Version Shogo Nakamura (#102)
9. 2015 BBM 1st Version Kazuma Okamoto (#186)
10. 2011 BBM 1st Version Tetsuya Yamada (#265)
Autograph & Memorabilia:
1. 2015 BBM 25th Anniversary Shohei Ohtani Autograph card
2. 2015 BBM Japan Rugby Top League Ayumu Goromaru Autograph card
3. 2015 BBM Genesis Shohei Ohtani Autograph card
4. 2015 BBM Rookie Edition Premium Yasuaki Yamasaki Autograph card
5. 2015 BBM 25th Anniversary Yoshinobu Takahashi/Hideki Matsui jersey card
6. 2015 BBM Real Venus Minami Takatsuka Autograph card
7. 2015 BBM Rookie Edition Premium Kona Takahashi Autograph card
8. 2015 BBM Real Venus Mizuho Nagai Autograph card
9. 2015 Swallows Fan Choice Tetsuto Yamada Autograph card
10. 2015 BBM Real Venus Kanae Yagi Autograph card
For the third issue in a row there are only six cards included with the magazine so I guess the days of "12 cards hidden in a big cardboard brick" are over after nearly two years. It'd be nice if the magazine price dropped back to 1000 yen like it was in late 2013 as well but you can't have everything I suppose. Five of the six cards are promos for the Rookie Edition set - Junpei Takahashi of the Hawks, Taiga Hirasawa of the Marines, Louis Okoye of the Eagles, Shun Takayama of the Tigers and Shinnosuke Ogasawara of the Dragons. The other card is a promo version of the "printed jersey" version of the 24 Karat box set's insert card that is itself a reprint of the 1998 Diamond Heroes jersey card for Yoshinobu Takahashi.