Monday, August 26, 2019

Card Shops In Japan: Quad Sports

Please check my "Card Shops in Japan" page before planning a trip to this store to verify that it's still where it was when I visited.

Quad Sports is probably my favorite card shop in Japan.  I've visited it four times which is the most I've visited any store (although that's only once more than Coletre and Mint Ikebukuro).  It's located in Takadanobaba in Tokyo, just two stops south of Ikebukuro and two stations north of Shinjuku on the Yamanote line.

Quad Sports had been on the second floor of the NT Building on Waseda Dori across the street from an elementary school but they moved during my trip to Japan.  Their new location is in a large building closer to Takadanobaba Station and across the street from their old location.  Here's a photo of their new building:


There's an opening leading to a staircase and an elevator on the left side of the building.  Quad Sports in on the fifth floor in Suite 502:



The only time I visited their new location was literally the second day they were open there.  I would assume they've added some signage outside the door but I don't know that for sure.  Here's what the doorway to their old location looked like:


So why do I like this store so much?  They have lots of singles.  They have huge monster boxes full of cards from various BBM sets going back to 1991 as well as other card sets (even for other sports).



Most stores in Japan charge 100 yen for single common cards.  I'm not positive but I think Quad Sports still only charges 50 yen*.  I bought 120-130 1999 BBM singles here on my last visit and they charged me 6000 yen although there may have been a volume discount.  The combination of the inventory plus the low price of commons makes this probably the best store in Japan to do set building at.  I've spent several hours here building BBM flagship sets (2003 & 2004 1st Version sets in 2013 and 1998, 1999 and 2000 this past trip) as well as BBM's Rookie Edition sets.

*UPDATE - I got some clarification from Ryan after I finished this post.  Quad Sports charges 40 or 50 yen for singles.  This is roughly the same as Wrappers, Mint Akihabara and Mint Odawara in Kanto, Sports Cards BITS and Mint Ponyland in Nagoya and possibly Mint Hakata in Fukuoka.

Higher priced cards are also available here.  Many are located in binders that are kept in cabinets.  Others are in cases.


By "higher priced cards" I mean rookies, inserts, parallels and autograph and memorabilia cards.  I don't think the store stocks older, pre-1991 cards but I wasn't really looking for them when I was here.

My photos don't show it but there's a table in the middle of the room where you can comfortably sit to go through boxes of cards.  The owner is friendly and helpful.  He speaks a little English - as usual his English was much better than my Japanese.

Here's a map showing the location of the building.  I've used the Saint Marc Cafe on the first floor as the reference point:



The store was written up in Sports Card Magazine #113 in September of 2015.  Obviously the article talks about the old location.

I do want to point out that the new store is smaller than the old one.  I did a panoramic of the old store when Ryan and I stopped there:


It doesn't do the store justice - there are shelves full of boxes behind me when I took the photo.  You can see some of them on the right side of the photo.

6 comments:

SumoMenkoMan said...

Nice, that sounds like my kind of store! Definitely looks like a hole-in-the-wall.

Fuji said...

If I ever make it across the Pacific and over to Japan... I'm going to need a tour guide, because there's no way I'd ever know that a (very cool) baseball card shop resided in that building.

NPB Card Guy said...

@Fuji - one of the things I'm attempting to do with these posts is to be that tour guide.

Sean said...

I do love the way their entrance looks like the door to somebody's apartment (which it actually is, albeit an apartment with a shop inside). I would be very uncomfortable even trying to open that door without at least a sign assuring me that this was in fact a card shop and on opening the door I wouldn't be interrupting someone just getting out of the shower or something!

Unknown said...

Does anyone know how to contact Quad sports in Japan??? I live in America and I was told they have a card there that I have been looking for, for the last 12 years??

ANy info would help

NPB Card Guy said...

As far as I know they don't have a website. Their phone number on the business card I got from them in 2013 was 03-5292-1518 but I don't know if that's still a valid number. Your best bet might be to get in contact with Ryan at This Card Is Cool and see if he can help you out.