Sunday, March 23, 2014

Card Of The Week March 23

Ryan had a couple of interesting posts about 1970's Calbee this past week which made me go take a look at the cards I had from those years.  I wanted to see if I had cards from each series of the 1975/76 Calbee set that he listed.  Turns out I do not.

But while looking through that binder, I ran into this little beauty from the 1980 set:

1980 Calbee #246

This sequence shows Masashi Takenouchi of the Tigers stealing home against the Giants.  Looks like he was safe.

I'm pretty sure the catcher is Kazuhiro Yamakura.  I was doing a little research on it and I was a bit stymied by the fact that both the Japanese Baseball Database and Baseball Reference claim that Yamakura never played catcher (not surprising they agree as I think the Baseball Reference data came from Japanese Baseball Database).  Kazuhiro and I respectfully disagree:

2000 BBM 20th Century Best 9 #033
Both sources also only list 27 games played by Giants catchers in 1980 so obviously something's not quite right.

I don't say this to make fun of either data source - they are great references and this is just a minor issue.  I know only too well from my own card database how easy it is to input something incorrectly.

3 comments:

Mischa Gelman said...

BR Bullpen has Yamakura correctly listed at catcher even if BR Japan doesn't. I've noticed other errors with BR Japan's defensive data - see Masahiro Abe for instance.

NPB Card Guy said...

I need to remember to check the Bullpen more often than I do. You've done a lot of great work there that's very helpful, especially now that Japan Baseball Daily is gone. Thanks for all you do there.

Greg Dunn said...

I tend to overlook the BR Bullpen bios as well--it would be nice if the B-Ref player pages linked to the BR Bullpen bios like they do with the SABR BioProject ones.

B-Ref probably is getting some of their data from the Japanese Baseball Database but since the latter stops at 2011 then B-Ref has to be getting data from other sources as well.