Saturday, May 2, 2015

Giants Team Issued Sets

Just another quick overview of team issued sets, this time for the Yomiuri Giants.  Jason listed a number of Giants sets but there isn't much overlap between what he has listed and what I have other than the 2013 "Players Card" set.

2002 "New Generation"



The backs of all the cards that I have from this set are identical and just contain schedule information.   The only numbers on the cards are the player's uniform number.   I have Yusaku Iriki (#20), Junichi Kawahara (#15), Kimiyasu Kudoh (#47) and Kazutaka Nishiyama (#26).

2004 Team Set



I only have two cards from this set - Kimiyasu Kudoh (#47) and Takayuki Saitoh (#37).  Jason has five other cards listed from this set.

2013 Players Card



I'm pretty sure the data on the bottom right of the front and back is the date that the card was given away (or made available to buy maybe?).  I've got the same six cards that Jason lists - Shinnosuke Abe (#10), Hisayoshi Chono (#7), Hayato Sakamoto (#6), Hirokazu Sawamura (#15), Tomoyuki Sugano (#19) and Toshiya Sugiuchi (#18).  (As an aside, I frequently feel like some of the team issued cards I end up with are kind of the lower profile guys for the team.  Not so with this bunch.)

2013 OB Giants



Apparently at the same time that the Giants were giving away a set of the current team in 2013, they were also giving away a set of OB players.  I have 16 cards from this set - Shozo Doi, Isao Harimoto, Tatsuro Hirooka, Tsuneo Horiuchi, Kunio Johnouchi, Masaichi Kaneda, Yoshitaka Katori, Yukinobu Kurue, Masumi Kuwata, Hiromi Makihara, Masahiko Mori, Sadaharu Oh, Isao Shibata, Kazunori Sinozuka, Sadaaki Yoshimura and a two sided Hideki Matsui/Shigeo Nagashima card.  Most of the cards use black and white photos but some of the more recent players have color photos:


I've lumped the two sided Matsui/Nagashima card in with this set as the design is very similar but it's possible that it should be considered a separate issue.  Both sides have a "kira" finish to them (that doesn't really come across well in the scan) - I don't know if all the Matsui/Nagashima cards have it or if it was just a few.



No comments: