Friday, November 27, 2020

Players With The Most Cards In My Collection

I got inspired by a post that Night Owl Cards did earlier this week.  This is not the first time I've been inspired by him - I've been doing "Opening Day" posts the past few years that are a ripoff off of tribute to the ones he's been doing for years.  This particular post was a list of the 25 players who he has the most cards of.  I read his post and thought "Hey, I can do that!"

Some years back I created a relational database to keep track of my collection.  I'm a computer programmer in the real world and it was kind of fun to apply those skills to my hobby.  The database is hosted in a PostgreSQL database server running on my computer and I created a web application running in JBoss to be a front end to it so I have a web front end allowing me to search my database by player or set and to enter new cards into the database.  The best part of all this is that I was completing all this around the time I had a long period of downtime between projects at my job and I was able to convince my manager to allow me to use some training hours to learn new skills (specifically doing the web front end) while completing this.  That's right, my company PAID me to finish up my baseball card collection database application.*

*I think it was at most eight hours and I want to be clear they paid me for code development, not the time I spent entering the cards into the database.

I've learned how to do SQL queries on the database to learn all sorts of things like which players appear in BBM's 1st Version set but not Epoch's NPB set in a given year or what rookie cards appear in Calbee sets.  Or create a list of players ordered by how many cards I have of them.

OK, enough geeky technical mumbo-gumbo and on to the geeky Japanese baseball card stuff!  Here's the top 25 in reverse order:

25. Motonobu Tanishige, 130

24. Masahiro Yamamoto, 131

23. Hitoki Iwase, 132

22. Norihiro Nakamura, 133

20 TIE. Hiroki Kokubo, 134

20 TIE. Tadahito Iguchi, 134

18 TIE. Seiichi Uchikawa, 139

18 TIE. Takeya Nakamura, 139

17. Michihiro Ogasawara, 140

16. Kosuke Fukudome, 142

15. Tomoaki Kanemoto, 146

14. Tatsunori Hara, 149

12 TIE. Hayato Sakamoto, 150

12 TIE. Nobuhiko Matsunaka, 150

11. Hideki Matsui, 161

A couple notes before going on to the top 10.  I refer to these as the "players" I have the most cards of but I am counting cards of the players as managers as well.  I'm also including OB cards of the retired players.  The counts also include Topps and Upper Deck World Baseball Classic cards but no MLB cards of players (since I don't have any).  I also don't include any "single player" sets in the counts (I don't put those cards in my database) so for example Hideki Matsui's card count doesn't include either box set BBM did for him (one in 2002 and the other in 2013).

On to the top 10:

2012 Bandai Owners League 03 #102
9 TIE. Yoshinobu Takahashi, 162


2001 BBM Nippon Series #S14
9 TIE. Atsuya Furuta, 162


1989 Lotte #9
8. Koji Akiyama, 165

2001 Upper Deck Victory #047
7. Kazuo Matsui, 167

I was quite surprised I had more Kazuo Matsui cards than Hideki Matsui cards

2000 BBM #526
6. Daisuke Matsuzaka, 173

How many cards would I have of him if he hadn't spent eight years in MLB?

1982 Takara Lions #47
5. Kimiyasu Kudoh, 180

2010 Giants Winning Game Card #42
4. Shinnosuke Abe, 182

1977 Yamakatsu JY3
3. Sadaharu Oh, 189

Somewhat surprised he wasn't either one or two

1994 Tomy #82
2. Kazuhiro Kiyohara, 202

Pretty amazing he ranks this high considering he hasn't shown up in an OB set in five years due to his legal issues. 

1973 Calbee #1
1. Shigeo Nagashima, 210

This shouldn't be a surprise - there are a LOT of Shigeo Nagashima cards.  For example it looks like 2008 is the only year that I don't have at least one BBM card of him in the 30 years BBM has been publishing cards.

Just out of curiosity I looked to see which Westerner I had the most cards of.  It's Alex Ramirez with 114 cards:

2006 Konami Powerful Baseball #P06-138


5 comments:

Fuji said...

183 Ohs is awesome! I feel when it comes to my Japanese athlete PC, it's a close race between Nomo and Ichiro... although 99% of each PC is made up of cards from this side of the Pacific.

Sean said...

I must say I'm very impressed that you were able to learn a new baseball card collecting related skill through work like that!

My collection isn't anywhere near as organized as it would need to be for me to do a similar post, but I suspect Oh and Nagashima would be at the top of my list. Since my collection skews a bit more vintage I suspect I would have a lot more guys from the 70s and a lot fewer guys from the last 20 years in my top 20.

I was initially kind of surprised that Ichiro didn't make the list, though on thinking it over it makes sense since his playing career in NPB was so short.

NPB Card Guy said...

I have 114 cards of Ichiro, tied with Alex Ramirez and Kazuhiro Wada for 44th on the list. He's only had three BBM cards since 2001 - all the other cards I have for him since he left for the US are WBC cards. Looks like there's 15 of them between Upper Deck, Topps and Konami.

Both Oh and Nagashima have like 150-200 cards each in "the monster" so you're probably right. I'd bet Koichi Tabuchi and Katsuya Nomura are pretty high up there as well.

Dan Skrezyna said...

Awesome post as always. I'm sure Masaichi Kaneda and Nagashima would be at the top of my Japanese player list.

NPB Card Guy said...

Thanks, Dan. These counts include my KBO cards as well but none of those players made the top 25. I expect that Korean player I have the most cards of is Lee Seung-Yuop - I have 67 cards of him.