Monday, February 8, 2021

Behind The Scenes

I mentioned recently that Epoch was releasing a set next month in conjunction with the Japan Retired Foreign Players Association (JRFPA).  George Arias is a member of the JRFPA and will be included in the set.  I feel fortunate that since I've been corresponding with George over the past several weeks that I've been kind of able to follow the process of how Epoch has arranged for him to sign the autographs for this set.

Last week George received a package containing the cards along with a set of instructions.  He was kind enough to send me a photo of his instructions:

George also shared a couple photos of the signed cards:



You can see a lot of similar photos of the players from the set signing cards in the JRFPA's Facebook and Twitter feeds.

I'd like to thank George for sharing this little behind the scenes peek at how these cards get done.

4 comments:

Sean said...

Oh wow, that is neat, very nice of him to share. I wonder if players have always done signings at home and then couriered the cards to the company like that, or if this is just a COVID related thing. It seems that if a player sent a box of signed cards and it got lost or mishandled by DHL on the way it would create a very big problem for BBM.

NPB Card Guy said...

From what he's told me, this is pretty much the standard way both Epoch and BBM do this - they ship him the cards (or stickers), he signs them and ships them back. DHL's probably a much more secure method than the regular mail (especially right now in the US) and certainly a lot faster - he signed those cards last week and they're probably already back in Japan now.

Deanna said...

Carlos Mirabal mentioned that the entire set has sold out -- dunno if that's true, but were you able to get a set? (I don't want them but you were the first person I thought of when I saw that)

NPB Card Guy said...

I don't usually preorder unopened boxes. I expect that when the set comes out I'll be able to pick up an opened box (without the autograph and parallel card) somewhere for between 1000 and 2000 yen.

It's not all that unusual for Epoch's high end boxes to sell out in preorders.