Sunday, January 15, 2023

Card Of The Week January 15

One of the things I've always liked to do with baseball cards is try to identify where and when the photo was taken.  I don't think I'm particularly good at it but sometimes you get an easy one - like this card of Masaki Tanigawa of the Fighters from the "1st Version Update" subset in the 2021 BBM Fusion set (#612):


The presence of the Hanshin Tiger base runner in the background really helps narrow this down.  This is obviously from one of the thee games the Tigers and Fighters played in Sapporo between June 8th and 10th in 2021.  Taking a look at the box scores, the only game that Tanigawa got into was the one on June 9th when he came on with one out in the fifth in relief of Takayuki Katoh who had given up six runs*.  Tanigawa worked an inning and two thirds, giving up one run on two hits while striking out two.  Without a play-by-play account of the game I don't think I can identify the Tigers player although I suspect someone who's more familiar with the team than I am could probably do it.

* Well he eventually had six runs charged to him but I don't know if Tanigawa allowed any inherited runners to score.  So he might not have yet given up six runs when Tanigawa relieved him

No comments: