Sunday, July 23, 2023

Graded Unopened Kabaya-Leaf Packs Available


About a year and a half ago I came across someone selling wrappers for 1967 Kabaya-Leaf packs on Ebay.  I contacted the seller and got permission to use his photos for a post.  This same gentleman reached out to me recently to let me know he was auctioning off a group of four graded, unopened Kabaya-Leaf packs over at Heritage Auctions.

As you can see from the above image, the four packs are each a different color.  They're a little on the transparent side so if you look closely at them, you can see the wrappers of the sticks of gum inside the packs.  If you could see the back sides, you'd be able to tell what the rearmost of the two cards in the pack is.  The blue pack has Sadaharu Oh, the yellow one has Hideki Watanabe, the red one has Tetsuharu Kawakami and the green one has Shigeo Nagashima.  Not a bad selection, especially considering that Watanabe is one of the extremely rare cards from the set (R4 according to Engel) and Kawakami is one of the rare cards (R3).

The starting price on this auction is way out of my price range - $10,000 - but I thought it might be of interest to show what unopened Kabaya-Leaf packs looked like.

Thanks to Jim for contacting me about this!

3 comments:

Sean said...

Wow! That is amazing, especially with that selection of cards in those packs.

Too rich for my blood, but I'm curious what they'll go for!

Nick Vossbrink said...

Holy wow. The packs are as pretty as the cards too.

Fuji said...

Very, very cool. My friend and I were talking about what we'd buy if we won the lottery. Found another thing I'd add to my list.