Sunday, September 3, 2023

Card Of The Week September 3

This past week my wife returned from six weeks in Europe - mostly in Spain but a little in France.  She was walking the Camino de Santiago or the Way Of St James, a medieval pilgrimage route that is still used by thousands of people each year.  She flew in Paris and traveled by train to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port in the foothills of the Pyrenees.  From there she set out on foot to follow the Camino Frances (the French Way) up into the mountains and all the way to Santiago, Spain.  It took her 34 days to walk the 779 kilometers to reach the cathedral in Santiago, the traditional end of the pilgrimage.  She continued to walk for an additional four days until she reached Cape Finisterre on the Atlantic coast, a distance of 89 more kilometers.  She took a bus back to Santiago before taking a train to Madrid where she spent a day touring art museums before flying home.  I'm so proud of her that she accomplished this although I'm not surprised in the least as my wife is a very impressive woman.

We were adding up her mileage the other day and I was amused when I realized that adding the 779 kilometers between Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Santiago and the 89 kilometers between Santiago and Cape Finisterre totaled 868 kilometers.  868, of course, is the number of home runs that Sadaharu Oh hit in his career.  I thought I'd celebrate the synchronicity with three cards commemorating the number.  As an added piece of synchronicity, today is the 46th anniversary of Oh hitting home run 756 to pass Henry Aaron.

1995 BBM #319

2002 BBM 2nd Version #824

2014 BBM 80th Anniversary Batters Edition #94


2 comments:

Sean said...

That is extremely impressive, I've never walked anywhere near that long.

While your wife does Sadaharu Oh career HR total walks, I think I would top out around Ozzie Smith career HR total territory...

NPB Card Guy said...

My wife laughed when I told her your Ozzie Smith comment.