Saturday, January 6, 2024

Two Sided Shohei Ohtani Rookie Edition Card

I've been aware for a while that there's a two sided version of Shohei Ohtani's 2013 BBM Rookie Edition card kicking around.  Now, if you recall, there's two versions of card #42 from that set - one showing Ohtani holding a baseball (the "pitching" version) and one with him holding a bat (the "batting" version).  This two sided card has the "pitching" image on one side and the "batting" image on the other.  

I was notified by someone recently that a fairly big Ebay seller was selling a lot of nine of these cards and they were concerned about the authenticity of the cards.  The seller had listed them as "Promo Version".  So what are these cards?  Are they promo version of the card from BBM?

What I think these are are someone's "art card" and not a BBM promo card.  I think they took the images from the Rookie Edition cards and printed up their own version.  Here's the images of the cards that I swiped from the auction:



Here's what the original BBM Rookie Edition cards look like:



They look pretty much the same, don't they?

So why do I think these are somebody's home brew card rather than an actual BBM promo?  Take a look at the two promo versions of this card that I have:

Sports Card Magazine (SCM) Promo

Card Shop Promo

There should be two differences between the promo versions and the original cards that jump out at you.  The first is that is a difference in the background colors and the second is that the promos are CLEARLY LABELED AS PROMOS.  The SCM one has the "SCM Original Card" icon on it and the Card Shop one has "Card Shop limited edition" on it.

I have a couple dozen BBM promo cards.  SCM ones, Shukan Baseball ones, book shop ones, card shop ones, card show ones, "Stadium Event" ones, et cetera.  They all at least say "promotion" on the front and they all have some sort of color difference.  These two sided cards don't - ergo they are not BBM Promo cards.

I reported the auction to Ebay, saying that "Promo Version" misrepresented what the cards were.  Ebay declined to do anything about it, saying that the seller wasn't in violation of any policy.  The auction ended a little over a week ago with the cards going for almost $700.  $700 will buy a lot of resources to print new copies of the card.

I suspect that this is going to be the next "1993 Hilo Stars Ichiro" card for me - a card that I will be constantly telling people is not what they think it is while it'll continually sell for large sums of money.  I am less inclined to tilt at windmills these days though and for whatever reason this card doesn't infuriate me as much as the Ichiro card.  Maybe because I don't think this was originally done as a ripoff while I have no doubt the Ichiro card was.

I should mention that there is a double sided Ohtani promo from 2013 that shows him pitching on one side and batting on the other but it's a promo for his 1st Version card.  This was for some sort of event at Kamagaya Stadium, home of the Fighters' farm team.  



The "batting" version was not used in the 2013 1st Version set.  Once again though, the card is labeled with the event it's from and there's a color variation (the "wings" are green instead of red).  (I have been regretting for about eight years now that I didn't grab a copy of this card for $28-ish on Yahoo! Japan Auctions when I had a chance.)

3 comments:

Jason Presley said...

As the seller is Probstein, I'm not surprised eBay did nothing. They move a lot of merchandise and likely generate a ton in fees. The color on those looks terrible. I hope whoever won them ultimately returns them for a refund.

NPB Card Guy said...

According to the auction: "Seller does not accept returns"

To be fair, it's a hard call for Ebay. Probstein doesn't SAY they're a BBM promo, just that they're a promo. And to them, I'm just some guy saying "Ah, that's not quite right." Especially since I only had about 100 characters to make the complaint in.

Jason Presley said...

Also, Probstein is a consignment house. They don't know anything about anything they list. The use that ignorance as their protection.