Wednesday, May 1, 2019

2018 Hanwha Eagles Calendar Cards

I got a package from Korea in the mail the other day courtesy of Dan that contained an 12 card set produced by the Hanwha Eagles in 2018.  Dan said that the set was sold with a calendar which is why he refers to it as the "Calendar Cards" set.  It was 12,000 won ($12) and was available on the Eagles on-line store (which is where Dan bought it from) although they appear to be sold out - maybe Dan got the last couple.  (I have to say that I'm amused that the title of one of the store's categories is being translated by Google simply as "Stuff".)

Anyway it's an attractive little set.  The cards are a little smaller than standard size and feature rounded corners.  They are also unnumbered.  I won't pretend that I know enough about Hanwha to be able to talk about the player selection - the only player I knew off hand in the set was former Chiba Lotte Marine Kim Tae-Kyun.  Here's the front and back of Kim's card:



There's a black border at the top of the card that my scanner cut off.  It makes it hard to tell that the top corners are rounded.

I had originally thought all the backs were identical but then I realized that the print in the lower left corner was biographical information for the player.

Here's a couple other example cards.  These scans also suffer from having the top border cut off:




Dan has the checklist of the set along with scans of all the cards up at TradingCardDB.com.

Thanks for picking the set up for me Dan!

5/3/2019 UPDATE - Dan sent me a little more information after I posted this.  The cards came in a little bag with the calendar.  Each page of the calendar had a slot to put a card but there wasn't any set order the cards were supposed to go in.  Here's a photo he sent me of the calendar when he got it:


He also sent me better scans of the cards that don't have the tops cut off:





No comments: