Sunday, July 28, 2019

I Got Korean Cards In Japan

Ryan and Sean were not the only card bloggers I met up with while I was in Japan.  Dan Skrezyna of Korean Cardboard flew to Tokyo from Korea towards the end of my trip to meet up with me and we accompanied each other to a number of card shops as well as a Chiba Lotte Marines game. 

Dan was kind enough to bring some cards for me.  He had picked up one of the three cards I needed to complete the 1999 Teleca Premium Korean Dream Team set:

1999 Teleca Premium "Korean Dream Team" #D-25
Like the rest of the Premium cards this card has a silver sheen that makes it difficult to scan.  It looks a lot better in real life.

Dan also gave me a bunch of cards from a team issued Hanwha Eagles set from 2005The complete set has 36 cards and Dan gave me almost half of the set.  The big names in the set are Kim Tae-Kyun (who played for the Marines in 2010-11) and Lee Bum-Ho (who played for the Hawks in 2010) - sadly I didn't get either of those cards.  I actually had other cards of only one of the 17 players Dan gave me - Yun Kun-Young - who had a couple cards in one of the 2014 Superstar Baseball sets.

The cards themselves are very attractive.  The design reminds me a little of some of the early 1990's Upper Deck designs.  I especially like the backs as there's a second photo of the player that takes up almost all the space although it fades out on the lower half of the card so the player's biographical and statistical information can be read.  The photo on the back is different than the one on the front.

Here's a couple example cards:




Here's the back of Yoo's card just to show what the backs look like:


So thanks for the cards Dan and it was great getting to meet and hang out with you in Tokyo!

5 comments:

SumoMenkoMan said...

Man, such an awesome community there in Korea and Japan!

Dan Skrezyna said...

I don't have the Lee Bum-ho or Kim Tae-kyun cards either rom the Hanwha set. To my knowledge those would be their first cards, albeit team issued.

NPB Card Guy said...

Lee has a "Rookie" insert card in the 2000 Teleca set

Dan Skrezyna said...

You are correct! I just picked up the Lee Bum-ho rookie a few months ago and will get it graded for my Korean HOF collection (whom I think should be in).

NPB Card Guy said...

I actually just picked up that card too recently