Saturday, September 21, 2019

2019 SCC KBO Premium set

The second Korean Baseball Organization (KBO) set from SCC (really Daewoo Media) this year came out about a month ago.  This is SCC's "Premium" set and features a variety of autograph and memorabilia cards.  The base set contains 220 cards (22 per team) - as usual this is what I picked and as usual I got the set through Dan.

Like SCC's earlier set this year, the cards for the base set are split into "normal", "rare", "holo" and "signature" (which are facsimile signatures).  While each team has the same number of total cards (22), they don't necessarily have the same number of each type.  For example, Samsung has 13 "normal" cards, 4 "rare" cards, 3 "holo" cards and 2 "signature" cards while SK has 11 "normal", 5 "rare", 4 "holo" and 2 "signature" cards.

I can't really comment on how well the set represents the KBO.  As always there are no foreign players in the set.  I did notice that two former Cubs farmhands who are returning to Korea make their SCC base set debut in this set.  Ha Jae-Hoon spent 2009 to 2015 as an outfielder in the Cubs organization.  He was a member of the Tokyo Yakult Swallows in 2016 (although I don't know of any NPB cards of him) and then spent the next two seasons with the Tokushima Indigo Socks of the Shikoku Island League where he converted to pitching.  He signed with SK as a pitcher (and I should point out that he had a short-printed rookie card in the earlier SCC set this year).  Rhee Dae-Eun was in the Cubs organization from 2008 to 2014.  He joined the Chiba Lotte Marines in 2015 for two seasons and spent 2017 and 2018 with the Korean Police team in the KBO Futures League.  He joined KT for the 2019 season.

Here's some example cards:

#SCCP1-19/214 Chi Seok-Hoon (Normal)

#SCCP1-19/086 Park Jeong-Eum (Normal)

#SCCP1-19/052 Park Sang-Won (Normal)

#SCCP1-19/039 Oh Jae-Il (Rare)

#SCCP1-19/146 Shin Bon-Ki (Rare)

#SCCP1-19/001 Ha-Jae-Hoon (Holo)

#SCCP1-19/178 Rhee Dae-Eun (Holo)

#SCCP1-19/170 Oh Ji-Hwan (Signature)

#SCCP1-19/095 Yang Hyeon-Jong (Signature)
Unlike the earlier SCC set (and the ones I got last year) the backs of the cards are not identical.  They have a photo of the player and some basic information.  For me the best part of the backs is that they have the player's name in English as my Korean reading skills are worse than my Japanese reading skills and my Japanese reading skills are practically non-existent.

Back of #SCCP1-19/114
I'm not a big fan of he wide borders on the "normal" and "rare" cards but it's still a nice looking set.  Dan has put the checklist up at TradingCardDB.com and has been adding scans of the cards.

Thanks for getting me the set, Dan!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I live in Europe and there is a guy offering 3 sealed boxes of SCC 2019 cards for 40 Euro.

I'm not saying I out to make money, but are they worth anything?

I think it would be cool to collect some exotic cards that most people wouldn't collect.