Saturday, February 11, 2023

Delivery From Brisbane

Got a package in the mail yesterday from Australia containing a Brisbane Bandits team issued card of former Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighter and Yomiuri Giant outfielder Daikan Yoh.  Yoh had spent last summer playing for the Lake Country DockHounds of the American Association* where one of his coaches was Dave Nilsson.  I'm sure it was just a coincidence that Yoh spent the winter playing in Brisbane for Nilsson's team.

*The DockHounds play in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, which is where my sister-in-law lives.  We were out that way last summer for a family event and I had hoped to catch a game and see Yoh but we ended up going out the one weekend in August where the team was out of town.

 Anyway, here's the front and back of Yoh's card:


The card back says he was a member of the Taiwan National Team for the 2006 World Baseball Classic - he also was on the team for the 2013 WBC and the 2015 Premier 12.

I got the cards from Shane, a card dealer in Brisbane who sells cards on Ebay under the handle Australian-Baseball-Cards.  I pretty much get all my Australian cards either from Shane or Steve Smith.  Shane included a couple other cards with the Yoh card - two checklist cards for the Bandits team set which was isused in two separate series and a filler card showing sunset over the Bandit's ballpark.  I thought that card looked really nice so I'll share it here:



2 comments:

Jason Presley said...

I've added the 2022-23 Brisbane sets to TCDB. I see from the sellers store that I have a lot more Brisbane sets to add. I'm assuming the Nilsson family owns the printer, so that might explain why they have yearly team sets when the league can't seem to keep that going.

NPB Card Guy said...

According to my Australian friend Steve Smith, Dave Nilsson owns the card company - which is why it's called "Dingo". When he told me, I was like "Duh! I should have realized that!"