Monday, February 27, 2023

GPBL & JWBL Cards

I mentioned yesterday that I had received my latest package of baseball cards from Ryan this past weekend.  As usual the box contained over 1000 cards that Ryan had picked up for me since the last time he'd sent me a package (which was about 16 months ago).  I always have a difficult time trying to figure out where to start with these packages so I decided to start with some cards that I was not expecting - six cards of professional woman baseball players.

The first card comes from the 2011 BBM GPBL set.  GPBL stands for Girl's Professional Baseball League which was the Japan Women's Baseball League's name from their founding in 2009 until 2012.  UPDATE - just discovered as I was putting this card away that it doesn't come from the same set as my other 2011 BBM GPBL cards.  I'll need to do some more investigation.

#K22

In addition to this card, Ryan also sent a couple empty envelopes that the cards had been packed in.  Each envelope originally contained two cards.  I assume these were given away at games but I don't know that for sure.  There's an envelope for each of the two teams at the time - the Hyogo Swing Smileys and the Kyoto Asto Dreams - and the back of the envelope has a checklist of the cards for the team.





The other five cards were all from 2017 and were issued by AIAIO.  I've never quite understood how these cards were distributed - as you can tell there's three different card designs here:






Miura and Maeda went on to play for the Tiger's women's team after the JWBL folded although I don't know if either one is still playing for them.  I believe that's a real autograph on Yamazaki's card.

2 comments:

Jason Presley said...

Could you add back scans for a 2011 and 2017 card?

Is the 2017 one big set, or does it seem to be individual team sets like 2011?

NPB Card Guy said...

I'll probably do another post about the 2011 cards in a couple weeks.

Not sure what the story is on the 2017 cards as I've seen something like 5 different card designs. Probably do a post on them as well in a few weeks.