Sunday, December 27, 2015

Card Of The Week December 27

The Padres named Andy Green as their new manager back in October.  Green most recently was on the Diamondbacks coaching staff but before that he managed in Arizona's minor league system.  His playing career lasted from 2000 to 2010, mostly in the Diamondbacks system (including the big leagues) but he made some some time in the Reds and Mets organization as well (including another stint in the big leagues with the Mets).  But what's of most interest to us here is the one year he spent with the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters in 2007.

Green had a miserable year with the Fighters, hitting only .197 in 18 games with the ichi-gun team.  He spent most of the season with the farm team in Kamagaya and was released in August.

As far as I can tell, Green only had four cards in Japan.  Two of these were in the Fighters team set (#'s F054 and F086) which I do not have.  Here are the other two:

2007 BBM 1st Version #17

2007 Konami Baseball Heroes 3 White Edition #B07W008
I was amused to see that Green was born on July 7, 1977 - 7/7/77.  It was bad enough when I got old enough to remember what I was doing on a day that a player was born but it's really making feel old when I remember what I was doing on a day that a manager was born.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

Wow, that's nuts. Andy Green disappeared from the Fighters right after I moved to Japan. I never expected to see his name again.