Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Card Shops In Japan: Mint Hakata

Please check my "Card Shops in Japan" page before planning a trip to this store to verify that it's still where it was when I visited.

I'd been planning my 2019 trip to Japan ever since my first trip to Japan back in 2013.  I frequently picked Ryan's brain about which card shops to make sure I went to and Ryan always raved about the Mint Kashii store.  He said that they had "an amazing inventory for such a small, out-of-the-way store" (Kashii is in the north-east part of Fukuoka-City, about a 12 minute train ride from Hakata Station which is the Shinkansen Station in Fukuoka).  Imagine my dismay a few years ago when I stopped seeing anything about the store on Mint's web site.  Had I missed my opportunity to go to this great store? 

It turns out that they didn't go out of business, they just moved to a new location a few blocks east of Hakata Station and changed their name to Mint Hakata.  Their new location is much more convenient than the old one and is maybe a mile to the west of Mint Fukuoka.  And conveniently for me it was about three quarters of a mile away from my hotel.

I will say that it's a bit of a foreboding location.  The building the store is in is kind of a generic looking concrete building (that I unfortunately didn't get a picture of).  The store is on the third floor (I think) in a remarkably bland looking hallway:


That's the elevator on the left and the store is the door in the center of the photo.  Here's a closer shot of the door:


Here's a couple photos of the inside of the store:




The store appears to still have the amazing inventory that Ryan had raved about.  There were BBM singles available that I think went all the way back to 1991.  He also sold complete, hand-collated sets and had a large selection of opened box sets (these are the box sets with the hits removed that are usually sold for a huge discount from their unopened prices).  I don't know for sure what their price for common single cards is - Ryan thinks it's 50 yen per card.  Given their selection they're a very good store to do set building at - perhaps the only store west of Nagoya that that can be said about.

I didn't do a lot of set building here though.  I picked up one card I needed from each of the 1994, 1998 and 2000 BBM sets along with Takashi Toritani's 2004 BBM Rookie Edition card.  The four cards ran me 500 yen.  I'm not quite sure how that broke down but I suspect it was something like 200 yen each for the 1994 and Toritani cards and 50 yen for each of the 1998 and 2000 cards.  I also picked up the new BBM Lions set there for 1500 yen although I should have waited.  Ryan had cautioned me that I would probably find it cheaper when I got back to Tokyo and of course he was right.  Still I was pretty happy with the store - especially since it had been about five days since I'd made any progress towards completing the sets I was working on.

The store takes credit cards.  There was a writeup of it in the final Sports Card Magazine - #121 in January of 2017 (my post for the issue says the write up is for Mint Kashii but it really was Mint Hakata - the store hadn't updated its website URL yet.)

Here's a map showing the store's location:

3 comments:

P-town Tom said...

Wow, the inside of the building is so very nondescript. But that inventory looks amazing!

Fuji said...

Cool shop on the inside... but there's no way I'd ever know there was a shop from the outside. I'd love to see their hand collated sets. If they were cheap, I'd probably buy them.

Sean said...

Nice. I had visited their old location in Kashii (I lived nearby for four years) a couple times and it looked very much like their Hakata one does from your photos (though perhaps a bit more crowded, the old location was very small). I never bought any cards from them but they were my go-to place for supplies.