Thursday, April 29, 2021

Ochiai Error

I recently learned about an error that BBM made in the 1996 set that they corrected later in the year.  Card #545 features Hiromitsu Ochiai.  The card is in the short printed "95 Record Makers" subset and celebrates Ochiai getting his 2000th career hit.  Here's the error card along with the corrected card:

The card on the left says "2000 Hit" while the corrected card says "2000 Hits".  

I was offered the pair of cards last week by the seller in Taiwan that I had bought the rare Late Series 1995 BBM cards from.  I ultimately decided against buying the pair of cards although we did eventually make a deal for the corrected version and a couple other cards.

I really would like to find a definitive list of variations on BBM cards.  I put together one a few years back based on SCM's listings but this is the second time I've come across a new variation - the first one I found about a year ago when I was going through a large lot of 1995 BBM cards.

UPDATE - Fuji pointed out in the comments that I probably have this backward - my brain had skipped over the "th" so the error card is probably the one on the right.

3 comments:

Fuji said...

Wait. Isn't 2000th Hit the corrected version... and 2000th Hits the error? Regardless... I always enjoy an error card that has a corrected version.

NPB Card Guy said...

You might be right - I think my brain just ignored the "th".

SumoMenkoMan said...

I was about ready to ask as well when I was reading. Cool finds!