Sunday, May 3, 2020

Card Of The Week May 3

I bought a very large lot of 1995 BBM cards from a seller on Ebay recently and the cards arrived early last week.  Between them and my 2020 1st Version set which arrived on Wednesday I've been somewhat buried under cards for a couple days which is why I haven't been posting.  Hopefully I can pick up the pace again now that everything's sorted and put away. 

My want list for the 1995 BBM set has dropped from 300-ish cards to 100-ish.  I think I only need about 170 total BBM flagship cards to have a full run of all BBM flagship sets from 1991 to the present.

I came across something odd while I was sorting the 1995 lot.  130 of the cards that year had gold signature parallel versions - this was the first set that BBM did a parallel issue for.  What I discovered is that the parallel version of Marines pitcher Yasuyuki Kawamoto's card (#217) had a different photo than the regular version:



I think that's still Kawamoto on the parallel card as Kawamoto had worn uniform number 46 prior to 1994. 

I had put together a list of known variants in BBM's flagship sets a few years back based on the SCM checklists but this isn't one of the ones from that list.  I don't know the full story here but I'd hazard a guess that the photo from the parallel card is considered an error since the uniform number was out of date and the photo from the regular card is considered the corrected version.  What's odd is that all the Marines cards were replaced at some point in the printing process and replaced with "Late Series" cards showing the players in their new uniforms the Marines introduced that year.  So the availability of the corrected card was shorter than normal.

2 comments:

Sean said...

Its impressive that you are down to just 170 cards for the entire BBM run of base sets.

I've never attempted any of the 1990s BBM ones, is the 1995 the hardest to complete?

NPB Card Guy said...

Probably. 1994 and 1996 are difficult as well. 1993 is common but has a couple expensive rookies (Ichiro, Hideki Matsui and Tsuyoshi Shinjyo). But 1995 has short printed 9 card puzzles of both Ichiro and Hideki Matsui and very scarce Late Series batch of cards that includes Kevin Mitchell. I probably won't ever complete the 1995 and 1996 sets but I'll get close.