Saturday, May 30, 2020

Kanebo - More From 94

I got an email from Rob Fitts after I did my post last week about the Kanebo Gold Card sets from 1993 & 1994.  Rob had some unopened packs of Kanebo cards and wanted to know if I was interested in buying any.  I decided to buy three packs of the 1994 cards since I only had a couple cards from that set.  I got the package in the mail today and decided to do a quick post on it.

The packs were very attractive.  The front of each pack featured a different player on a different team:




That's Norihiro Komada on the Baystars wrapper and Masahiro Yamamoto on the Dragons one.  I'm pretty sure that's Tomonori Maeda on the Carp wrapper but I could be wrong.  These are definitely more attractive wrappers than the 1993 set had:

Image swiped from The Perfect Guide
Before opening the packs, I wondered if the team on the wrapper had any bearing on the card inside the pack.  Nope - I pulled three Yakult Swallows (each pack only had one card):

#018

#001

#008
I also pulled three individually wrapped pieces of 26 year old bubble gum from the packs:


I decided to pass on trying any of the pieces.

Rob has a few more 1994 packs available.  He may have 1993 ones as well.  He also is selling a "starter" set of 43 different 1993 cards.  Anyone who is interested should contact Rob via his website (where you can also buy his latest book "Issei Baseball" which I haven't read yet and his earlier books which I have read and highly recommend).

No comments: