Monday, May 8, 2023

Recent Acquisitions From Mercari

I received my latest shipment of baseball cards from ZenMarket today which included my Calbee Series One and BBM 1st Version sets.  I'll be writing about those later in the week but I wanted to do a quick post about some other cards I picked up from the auction site Mercari.

Mercari is "kind of an online flea market site" to quote how Ryan described it to me the first time.  It's similar to Ebay and Yahoo! Japan Auctions although I think pretty much everything has a set price instead of being an auction.  Like any other site, sometimes you can find bargains there and sometimes you see ridiculously overpriced stuff.  I'd had a string of luck finding some good stuff there a few months back and had initially asked Ryan to pick the first couple things I'd found up for me.  But then I remembered that ZenMarket had a deal going on - to celebrate Mercari being available through ZenMarket, they were waiving their 300 yen service fee.  This meant for a week or so it didn't cost me anything extra to buy stuff through ZenMarket as opposed to asking Ryan to get it for me.  And since I was already getting the Calbee and BBM sets I knew it wouldn't cost much more to have these cards shipped as well.  I ultimately picked up three items - two single cards and a lot of five cards.  Both singles were on my want list but the lot was just a target of opportunity.

The first single card I want to talk about is the final card I needed for my master set for the 2009 Konami Baseball Heroes WBC set - the All Tournament Team card for Daisuke Matsuzaka:


I've been picking up the cards given away with the "Season Memorial" issues of Shukan Baseball.  I'm still trying to figure out what cards exist prior to 2010 but I know that there were two cards in each year from 2011 to 2016.  With this card of Tetsuto Yamada from 2014, I know only need one card from those five years (Mitsuo Yoshikawa from 2012):


Finally the five card lot was for a bunch of the "We Love Hokkaido" series BBM/Nippon-Ham "Home Run Sausage" cards - one from 2018 and four from 2019:





2 comments:

Sean said...

I've long been curious about Mercari and have browsed their stuff, but have never signed up for an account and just stuck to Yahoo Auctions for my online purchases. I might get one though.

Those Nippon Ham Home Run Sausage cards are cool, though I kind of wish they'd do an actual set on their own in the vein of their 1970s ones and not pair up with BBM (which results in a set that basically looks and feels the same as any other BBM team set).

NPB Card Guy said...

The one thing that seems odd about them is there are basically zombie items - items that were put up for sale and forgotten about or abandoned. You go to buy them and the seller never responds. Eventually (like less than a week) Mercari cancels the transaction and refunds your money but it's kind of frustrating thinking you've picked something up only to discover you hadn't. This happened to me indirectly last year where Twycchang tried to buy the last BBM flagship card I needed off of there. Ryan had warned me that it looked like a zombie and sure enough the transaction ended up getting canceled.

I agree with you but it seems like a lot of the food issues nowadays pair up with either BBM or Epoch. Having players from teams other than the Fighters would have been nice too. I'm kind of amused that the biographical information on the back of these cards is limited to the player's name and team - all of the cards are for the Fighters so what's the point of putting the team name there?