Sunday, May 21, 2023

Card Of The Week May 21

I try not to celebrate arbitrary milestones of this blog but I couldn't help but note that this is the 800th "Card Of The Week" post.  I'm not entirely sure what possessed me to start doing them in the early days of the blog but I've only skipped two weeks since the first one for December 2, 2007 (which was the seventh post on the blog).  (In case you're wondering, the two weeks I've missed were August 31, 2008 and August 14, 2014.  I know I missed the latter because of my first back surgery - and I guess I hadn't learned how to write posts ahead of time and schedule them to be published - but I'm not quite sure why I missed the one in 2008.  I think we were away that weekend but I don't know why I didn't just do it later in the week.) 

I thought it'd be fun to celebrate by sharing one of the 1978 Calbee cards commemorating Sadaharu Oh's 800th home run.  There's just one problem with that plan - I don't have any of those cards.  So instead I'll share a couple cards from the 2009 BBM Sadaharu Oh Memorial set (which is kind of repetitive since I used a card from that set to celebrate the 700th "Card Of The Week" post almost two years ago).  Here's the front and back of card #05 and the front of card #49:




Oh won't be able to help me when I reach 900 but I have until April of 2025 to figure out what to do for it.

4 comments:

Sean said...

Wow, congratulations on #800! 16 straight years (those two missed weeks notwithstanding) is an impressive feat.

NPB Card Guy said...

Thanks!

Fuji said...

Congratulations! That photo on the front of card #5 is fantastic!

NPB Card Guy said...

Thanks!