Saturday, August 10, 2019

Dragons Team Issued Cards

I mentioned a while back that one of my card collecting goals on this trip was to get more team issued cards.  I especially was looking to find cards from the three teams that I didn't have any team issued cards from - the Carp, the Dragons and the Baystars.  I didn't find any for the Carp but I was successful with the other two teams.  This is a quick post on the Dragons cards I found - I'll do one on the Baystars next.

I went to three card shops in Nagoya but the only one I got any Dragons team issued cards at was Sports Card BITS.  Which isn't to say that Mint Ponyland and Match Up didn't have any - I just wasn't really looking when I was at those two stores.

First up are some cards from 2001 - I think these qualify as "Victory Cards" as they appear to have been issued to celebrate individual Dragon victories that season:



Here's the back of the Masa Yamamoto card which shows the line score for the game along with some other details:


That's former Baltimore Oriole Leo Gomez on the back - he homered twice in the game.

I also got this other 2001 card that celebrated highlights of the 2001 season other than simply game victories.  This card commemorates Shogoh Mori homering on the first pitch in his first ever NPB at bat on May 1st.  Mori would only hit four more the rest of his career.


Here's a couple from a more standard team set from 2003:

Makoto Kitoh

Eiji Ochiai
Here's what the back of the Kitoh card looks like.  I'm curious what the text in the lower right corner means - it says something like "registered by 3/1" which could mean that the set contained the players who were registered to the team's roster by March 1st, 2003.  But what does the "11,460" mean?



Here's three cards from 2005:




These cards also have the "Registered by 3/1" notation on the back but the number next to them is only "1000".


Here are two from 2007:



The backs of these don't have any thing about the players on them - instead it's some sort of scratch off game.  Both of the backs are identical (and already scratched off):


Zippy Zappy has a Masahiko Morino card that looks like it's from the same set but the scratch off game on the back is different.

Finally I got two cards from a 2008 set.  They have different scratch off games on their backs:





It was kind of cool they weren't scratched off.  I suppose I could have scratched them off and tried to redeem them at Nagoya Dome if I won something but I suspect the team wouldn't have honored it.

2 comments:

Zippy Zappy said...

The "Victory cards" as you call them were said to be made by CBC (Chubu-Nippon Broadcasting) which aired Dragons games. Hence why the photos are just screenshots of TV footage.

The rest were stadium giveaways. The scratch-offs were redeemable for prizes. Others were just standard info about the players.

I'm surprised you were able to find some (though I'm not surprised you found them at Bits!). My go-to for these was CAPS before they shut down.

NPB Card Guy said...

Thanks for details. BITS had a pretty good selection - I just tried to buy a couple from each set they had. I'd have bought more but at a couple hundred yen a card it starts to get expensive fairly quickly.