Thursday, March 9, 2023

Topps WBC Cards

Just a quick note to mention that Topps has announced some plans for World Baseball Classic cards for this year.  They've already rolled out the first Topps Now WBC cards.  Each card is $9.99 on Topps' website but at least the first couple can be found for half that on Ebay.  If you're in Japan you can get them on Topps' Japanese site for 1100 yen - they look like the same cards, down to the English text.  Obviously we don't know how many cards will be in the set but the 2017 Topps Now WBC set had 64 cards (67 if you count the Spanish language parallels) so I'd expect something roughly comparable.

Topps has also announced some sort of "Global Stars" set but there's no details other than the above photo.  The box says it has 20 cards in it - 16 base cards, 2 parallels and 2 inserts.  No idea how big the set will be, how much it'll cost (I suspect it will not be cheap), or when it's going to be released.

7 comments:

Sean said...

10$ per card? No thanks.

I'm disappointed that Calbee didn't do a Samurai Japan set this year, I wonder if that is due to Topps getting an exclusive license or something?

After enjoying watching Japan plaster China last night I'm suddenly interested in WBC cards again.

NPB Card Guy said...

I've been picking them up for $5 each on Ebay. Still expensive though but more like the Epoch One cards.

Yeah, that's what I figured happened - Topps got the exclusive license. What sucks is that it means there are no cards for the Olympic Gold Medal team. In fact the two Olympics that used professionals for baseball that Japan medaled in - 2004 and 2021 - don't have cards. The two that they didn't medal in - 2000 and 2008 - do.

Nick Vossbrink said...

I'm definitely intrigued by the Global Stars set. I'm hoping the fact we don't have details yet is because Topps is trying to have the rosters correct and not put someone in who dropped out late. Though yeah if these are a print-on-demand limited online run I'm going to be sad.

NPB Card Guy said...

I'm curious about it but don't know if my budget is going to allow for it. I've already committed myself to getting all the Topps Now WBC cards which is going to be pricey (although hopefully ultimately cheaper than getting them all after the fact like I did with the 2017 ones. Granted that was spread out over six years but spending $80-ish for the final card kind of sucked.)

Nick Vossbrink said...

Yeah I'm not looking for the WHOLE set but a few of my PC guys are playing and it'd be nice to grab those cards.

Nick Vossbrink said...

Okay the checklist is out and it's only 50 cards and really bad. Easy pass.

NPB Card Guy said...

10 Samurai Japan players in 50 cards is a pretty high percentage though. Don't think I'll buy it from Topps but I'll keep an eye out on whether I can put together a base set for something not too expensive.