Friday, March 10, 2023

Random Cards from Ryan

I wanted to pretty much wrap up my posts about the latest package I got from Ryan with one just showing off some random cards that he sent me.

I've mentioned before that I'm down to only needing one card (Yonetoshi Kawamata - #642 from the 1996 set) to have a complete run of the BBM flagship sets from 1991 to the present.  I was taking into account nine cards (three from 1995 and six from 1996) that Ryan had for me but that I didn't have in hand.  I know have those nine in hand.  I won't show all of them but here's two of the three 1995 cards (both shortprints) and two of the six 1996 cards (all "Late Series" Dragons cards - a couple of which I bought from Larry Fuhrmann but had him ship to Ryan to save money):

1995 BBM #355

1995 BBM #392

1996 BBM #615

1996 BBM #645

I'm also now down to only need one card from the 2009 Konami Baseball Heroes WBC set.  I already had the complete base set but I'd been trying to complete the inserts.  This Lim Chang-Yong card completes the 12 card "special" insert set:

2009 Konami Baseball Heroes WBC "Special" #W09S004

These are two of the three remaining cards I need from the "All Tournament Team" insert set:

2009 Konami Baseball Heroes WBC "All Tournament Team" #W09A004

2009 Konami Baseball Heroes WBC "All Tournament Team" #W09A011

The final card I need is Daisuke Matsuzaka (#W09A01)

One Konami WBC set is almost done while another one is just started.  Last year I discovered Konami did an 11 card "Samurai Japan" set for the 2013 WBC team.   I asked Ryan to pick up a couple cards from the set that weren't ridiculously overpriced and he passed them along to me:

2013 Konami Samurai Japan #B13SJ004

2013 Konami Samurai Japan #B13SJ001

When I was researching what Calbee had done for their 30th Anniversary in 2002 I came across an auction for all 36 of the "Memorial" cards and asked Ryan to get it for me.  I'll just show off one of the cards here:

2002 Calbee #M-26

I also had Ryan pick up this Calbee card because...well, how could I not get this:

2005 Calbee #C-4

BBM did a "Dream Team" insert set with their 1999 set featuring die-cut cards of nine players who'd appeared in the All Star series against MLB in 1998 along with manager Shigeo Nagashima.  Nagashima's was the last card I needed to complete the set:

1999 BBM "Dream Team" #D1

I'm kind of half heartedly attempting to complete the "Rising Stars" insert set from the 2000 Upper Deck Ovation set.  I've got about two thirds of it now but based on what Twycchang has told me, the remaining cards may be more expensive than I really want to pay for them.  In the meantime, though, here's the two latest additions:

2000 Upper Deck Ovation "Rising Stars" #11

2000 Upper Deck Ovation "Rising Stars" #21



I've had a couple instances over the last couple years where I've picked up a "complete" set that ended up being short a card.  Since I usually buy cards through proxy companies, it's a little difficult to complain to the original seller so I just ask Ryan to look for the cards for me.  These three cards fill in the missing places on those sets:

2021 Epoch NPB #067

2021 BBM Hawks #H20

2022 BBM 2nd Version #344

Ryan tracked down some of the team set cards that I'd been looking for as well (including a couple ikusei players from the Hawks who went on to have very good careers):

2011 BBM Hawks #H78

2011 BBM Hawks #H73

2010 BBM Lions #L08

2012 BBM Baystars #DB21

2012 BBM Giants #G062

A couple years ago Dan sent me a nearly complete 2019 Epoch Giants 85th Anniversary set.  It was only missing two cards - Lee Seung-youp and Tatsunori Hara.  I had picked up the Lee card a little while back and now I have the Hara card as well:

2019 Epoch Giants 85th Anniversary #24

I had toyed with the idea of trying to complete the 2017 BBM Icons - Japan Pride "Printed Autograph" insert cards for a while but I ultimately decided against it.  Before I made that decision, however, I asked Ryan to pick up the Ayumu Ishikawa card:

2017 BBM Icons - Japan Pride #PA05

Finally Ryan and I have had an ongoing joke for the past few years about whether it would be possible to put together an entire Epoch NPB set with the "Promotion Cards" that you generally get in one card packs at card shops.  Ryan sent me three more of these for the 2021 set and a whopping 22(!) from the 2022 set.  I only need 410 more cards for the 2022 set now!  I won't show all of them but here's one each from the 2021 and 2022 cards:

2021 Epoch NPB #234

2022 Epoch NPB #387


4 comments:

Jason Presley said...

I had no idea these existed! More cards to catalog. I guess these will have to be added to the yearly checklists as they are discovered, sort of how we do the "Rediscover Topps" kinds of cards with no known checklist.

Jason Presley said...

The Epoch promotion cards, I mean.

Jason Presley said...

You might not be wrong about those Promotion Cards. I started adding them to TCDB, and got to 47 cards for the 2022 set before taking a break.

NPB Card Guy said...

As far as I know, there's at leat 432 of them. Not sure if there are any for the short printed OB player cards.