Friday, October 12, 2018

2018 BBM Genesis set

It's odd how you change the things you're interested in collecting over the years.  For example a couple years back I would never have thought about getting all of BBM's team sets each year but after doing it for a couple years in a row now I would feel my collection for the year was incomplete without them.  I think I'm starting to feel that way towards Genesis, BBM's annual high end set.  I got last year's edition due to the inclusion of a couple late signing players and I discovered to my surprise that I really liked the set.  So when this year's edition came out I decided to try it again.  And once again I really liked it.

Of course the whole attraction of the Genesis set is not the base set but the autograph and memorabilia cards.  Since I was just getting the base set it was relative inexpensive - I picked it up off Yahoo! Japan Auctions for 2000 yen.  With my auction fees from Noppin it was about 3000 yen in all (not including shipping to the US - I had this shipped with the Calbee Series Three set). 

The base set has 108 player cards - 9 per team.  This has been the standard size of the Genesis set since BBM started publishing the set in 2012.  In addition there are 12 team checklist cards which brings the total size of the base set to 120 cards.

The players featured in the set include most of the big stars of NPB - Tetsuto Yamada, Yuki Yanagita, Yoshihiru Maru, Seiya Suzuki, Tomoyuki Sugano, Yusei Kikuchi, Masataka Yoshida, Shogo Akiyama, Takehiro Norimoto and Yoshitomo Tsutsugoh among others.  There don't appear to be any rookies in the set and there's no late signing foreigners in the set this year.  There are two players in hte set who don't appear in either of BBM's flagship sets (1st and 2nd Version) this year - Kazuki Tanaka of the Eagles and Takumi Ohshima of the Giants.

Here's some example cards.  As with last year's set, the cards didn't scan well and look better in person.  The bright gold foil swooshes on the left side of the cards don't look so bright in the scans.

#063

#017

#035

#094

#105

#065
I'll admit that one of the attractions of this year's set was the inclusion of players wearing some of the alternate uniforms this year.  I need to start updating my uniform posts on a regular basis.

Like last year's set the team checklists are extremely boring:

#CL05
You can see all the cards over at Jambalaya although their scans aren't much better looking than mine. 

No comments: